Chance of keeping Stock HU? 2014 Tacoma

ImmortalFreak
10+ year member

I just bought a 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab and I'm looking at transferring over the system I had in my car to the truck. For whatever reason, I've come to bond with this Entune Head unit that the truck came with, so ideally I wouldn't buy a new one or even transfer the head unit in my car to the truck.

First off, here's what I'm working with in my car:

HU - Pioneer AVHP4200DVD

Amplifiers: Cadence ZRS-C65 to the subs and a no-name amp to the mids/highs (I will be buying a different amplifier for the speakers when I make the transfer)

Subwoofers - 2 Image Dynamics ID10V3's

Component Speakers - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (When I install my component speakers I typically drill them into the kick-panels of the vehicle, meaning this will have to stay in the car. My current plan is to buy my third set of these components, unless you all have a better SQ recommendation that is reasonably priced)

So, back on topic here: The head unit really seems pretty intuitive; it sorts my music from my hard drive 100%, tells me traffic, weather, etc. I know I can pick something up that is a lot better, but I dealt with installing an aftermarket HU into my car (having to rewire my steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc.) and it's just something I really don't want to deal with. Furthermore, I like to be as stealth as possible with my vehicle audio equipment. I question certain people in my neighborhood everyday, and unfortunately that isn't something I can change for a long time.

Based on my research the general consensus is I'd be a complete idiot if I tried running the factory HU, but what about things like the JBL MS-8 or LC6i? Also, I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with TacoTunes.com, but I read about a product they released that sounds similar to the MS-8 in the respect of factory HU/amplifier integration called the TACQEzQ, does anyone have experience or any information good/bad on that?

Thanks for the help everyone!

using the factory HU is fine to do and a requirement in a lot of cars where the radio and climate controls are integrated.

an MS-8 is the right tool for the job. There are others as well by several manufacturers, but the MS-8 is a nice piece. you can keep the factory HU and then use an OEM integration processors with amps and speakers and subs for a very good sounding system.

MS-8 for the lower end of the budget. I would choose the new mosconi unit... I was viewing it at CES and it was just great! Also awesome choice of ID equipment //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the input!

If I skimp out and go with something a bit cheaper like the JL CleanSweep, would I be disappointed in your opinion? I'm a "best bang for the buck" kind of person, but I do realize that there are certain times where you need to bite the bullet and spend the money... I just don't know if this is a "bite the bullet" scenario?

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Thank you Don!

So if the MS-8 is the low-end, this is definitely something I need to spend the cash on then, huh?

Nothing wrong with keeping the stock HU. As keep hope alive said, it's a requirement in some cases. The JBL processor that was mentioned is a good option. I myself went with an Audiocontrol unit that was on sale during Christmas. It's a pretty basic unit, but it did exactly what I needed it to do, & I'm very happy with it. Look at the options that you would like to have & see what best fits those requirements.

You may or may not need any kind of integration device. For some vehicles, you can add preamp (RCA) outputs to the stock head unit/amp. That's the case for my car.

You may or may not need any kind of integration device. For some vehicles, you can add preamp (RCA) outputs to the stock head unit/amp. That's the case for my car.
That Tacoma doesn't send out a full range signal to all the channels that I can recall thus you would need to be able to sum the various signals so I think you will need an integration device....

Thanks for the input!
If I skimp out and go with something a bit cheaper like the JL CleanSweep, would I be disappointed in your opinion? I'm a "best bang for the buck" kind of person, but I do realize that there are certain times where you need to bite the bullet and spend the money... I just don't know if this is a "bite the bullet" scenario?

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Thank you Don!

So if the MS-8 is the low-end, this is definitely something I need to spend the cash on then, huh?
MS-8 runs a bit cheaper than most of the other processors, but a good processor will do more for your sound than speakers or even amp choices.. If I had to pick between midline speakers and a processor or top of the line speakers without, I'd pick the processor and cheaper speakers EVERY time.

MS-8 runs a bit cheaper than most of the other processors, but a good processor will do more for your sound than speakers or even amp choices.
I agree 100% with this especially if you are not a seasoned vet that knows about correct speaker placements and mounting angles and things of that nature. As just because the MS-8 is on the less expensive side of the park as far as processors go, one shouldn't discount it's performance because there are people that have won world sq titles using MS-8's in their setups.....

I agree 100% with this especially if you are not a seasoned vet that knows about correct speaker placements and mounting angles and things of that nature. As just because the MS-8 is on the less expensive side of the park as far as processors go, one shouldn't discount it's performance because there are people that have won world sq titles using MS-8's in their setups.....
I have a ms-8 in my vehicle currently. If you have no idea how to tune, it'll do a much better job than most people are going to do without a lot of practice, once you get things level matched close enough to let it do it's job. Only issue with the MS-8 is you cant' tweak much after it finishes it's tune, so if you do know how to tune, it feels a bit limiting. For 99% of the population, it's a good unit especially for cars with a stock center channel.

MS-8 is currently the only DSP that will compensate for time alignment. Any other DSP will leave the factory amplifier's time delays which will cause unwanted phase problems that are audible, mainly at bass frequencies. I've read complaints about sound after using factory integration processors and I suspect some of the complaints are arising from lack of signal correction. Garbage in = garbage out.

There is a downside to "correcting" for time alignment, and that is an echo heard on your caller's side of a phone conversation unless you remember to hit the mute buton on the MS-8 remote. It's a workaround.

That Tacoma doesn't send out a full range signal to all the channels that I can recall thus you would need to be able to sum the various signals so I think you will need an integration device....
That doesn't matter. The same goes for my car, but when you add preouts to the stock amp you do so before the EQ/crossover circuits so it's just a raw signal.

Looks like I'm probably going to have to go with the MS-8 then. Do any of you have any opinion on the Audison bitTen?
It's a very powerful unit, but if you don't know how to tune, your going to have to learn. Some people don't like the user interface on the bit 10 as well, other than that, not too many problems with it from what I've heard. Mosconi 6 to 8 also gets good reviews. Considering you've never had a processor before, I think the MS-8 would be a good starting point. It does all the tricky stuff for you, so it may give you the best results because of the fairly competent auto-tune.

Thanks T3mpest.

I don't have much tuning experience, though I have no problems doing the footwork to learn. In fact, I think I would enjoy it. Never hurts to learn new things.

Darkhart,

By adding preamp outs, what would I need to buy? Can you give me some reference points?

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.