Center channel....why so mysterious?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Here's my info, Why? What's the point of a center channel? On a TV, it helps in a combination with surround sound, to accentuate the visual focal point, the main focal point. You're watching TV, and the audio is secondary to better help you feel immersed in the story.

In your vehicle, there is no visual focal point that the music is secondary to. The music is the primary focus, not a backup to what you are watching. Unless you are trying to create a soundstage, to replicate sitting in the middle of a full orchestra, then what benefit is a center channel going to add?

Here's my info, Why? What's the point of a center channel? On a TV, it helps in a combination with surround sound, to accentuate the visual focal point, the main focal point. You're watching TV, and the audio is secondary to better help you feel immersed in the story.

In your vehicle, there is no visual focal point that the music is secondary to. The music is the primary focus, not a backup to what you are watching. Unless you are trying to create a soundstage, to replicate sitting in the middle of a full orchestra, then what benefit is a center channel going to add?
The center channel is to create a center stage. Music has right, left and center. A center channel tends to anchor the center state, but has tendency to pull the passenger side of the stage toward the center. A center channel also creates a center for both the passenger and the driver, whereas if you create a center stage purely thru tuning, it tends to be centered for the driver and pulled toward the passenger for the passenger side listener. Lots of cars come with an OEM center stage in their higher end systems.

The center channel is to create a center stage. Music has right, left and center. A center channel tends to anchor the center state, but has tendency to pull the passenger side of the stage toward the center. A center channel also creates a center for both the passenger and the driver, whereas if you create a center stage purely thru tuning, it tends to be centered for the driver and pulled toward the passenger for the passenger side listener. Lots of cars come with an OEM center stage in their higher end systems.

No. Sound emanates from a single point. Music might be recorded in a way that direction and range from where it was made, to where it was recorded, has an effect on the final sound. It certainly doesn't initiate from 3 specific points.

I didn't say you can't create a center stage, I said it doesn't make sense in a vehicle. If you're going to make a center stage then why not an upper and lower rear center, or an upper middle and lower, front middle and rear, right and left. Why not create a 50 speaker atmos enviroment?

The speed of sound is 343 meters per second. Which is about .003 of a second for that one meter difference between you hearing the left and right speakers. YOU CAN NOT HEAR THE DIFFERENCE IN TIME.

A center channel would help out IF your left and right speakers aren't placed to where both people can hear them, with or without people in the seats, when they are blocking the speakers, that is the only reason for it. If you have a DSP, and WANT TO add one, then fine tune it in, you could create that scenario, but why would you?

No. Sound emanates from a single point. Music might be recorded in a way that direction and range from where it was made, to where it was recorded, has an effect on the final sound. It certainly doesn't initiate from 3 specific points.

I didn't say you can't create a center stage, I said it doesn't make sense in a vehicle. If you're going to make a center stage then why not an upper and lower rear center, or an upper middle and lower, front middle and rear, right and left. Why not create a 50 speaker atmos enviroment?

The speed of sound is 343 meters per second. Which is about .003 of a second for that one meter difference between you hearing the left and right speakers. YOU CAN NOT HEAR THE DIFFERENCE IN TIME.

A center channel would help out IF your left and right speakers aren't placed to where both people can hear them, with or without people in the seats, when they are blocking the speakers, that is the only reason for it. If you have a DSP, and WANT TO add one, then fine tune it in, you could create that scenario, but why would you?
I don't know how many high level systems you've listened to or built, but you have to tune the system to achieve a proper center stage that doesn't wander. However, if you do that, the center stage is off for the passenger seat listener. If you install a center channel speaker, no more wandering center stage and the center stage is were it's supposed to be for all listeners. Center channels can also lift the sound stage to dash height and eliminate rainbowing. Personally, I don't put center channels in my systems, because I don't really give a fly phuck about the passenger's listening experience and my tuning skills are such that I can get pretty well anchored center stage without resorting to a center channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...