cdt m6's vs kicker ssmb's or dayton ref rs180's

joe duce
10+ year member

canada
has anyone here heard any or all of these drivers in a infinite baffle door type install? i have been researching midbass drivers and the new cdt m6 looks like it might be the one. i need a bandwidth of at least 60hz to around 800-1000hz, must have a mounting depth of less than 3 inches and hopefully handle lots of power, all the while sounding great! i have used kicker products in the past and have had good luck but i am not sure about the ssmb's, i cannot find alot of reviews and they may not cover the bandwidth i am looking at. alot of people seem to like the dayton ref series, but with them the power handling seems lower than i would like. i have found alot of other drivers out there too but then the cost gets too high for my budget. have looked at morel, dynaudio, seas all seem abit too pricey for me. would anyone know how the cdt's would stack up against above mentioned brands? any and all help is appreciated!

thanks.

joe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Go with the cdt m6.

I'm pushing 200w mono to one cdt m6 in a ported box, and it hits like a 10 inch sub with no distortion. I needed a sub that I could hide in a small box.

The bass is nice and tight with smooth roll off. I'm sure it's down in the 20hz range cause it's bass you can feel. Any more bass than this is to much for my soundstage.

sorry your depth may be an issue as I believe the M6 is very close if not a little more than 3in deep. I can't remember on mine but it was slightly deeper than my ES-600.

You will need close to 3.75" too clear it!
does the M6 require alot of space for air to move behind the driver? i was just looking at the pdf file on it at CDT and it says it's 2.94 inches mounting depth.

even with my window down i should be getting somewhere between .25 to .50 of an inch clearance. this should be enough? with the window up there is tons of space back there. my car is a 89' t'bird.

joe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

can you space your window frame back? and/or make a small spacer ring to go under the mid?

if you can fit 3 1/4" mounting depth, the DD W6.5LT is the best mid bass driver in that size that i know of. for midbass depth and output, it kills the dyn's, etc. i have tested them head to head, IB in a door. for a full midrange driver, they only play up to about 2khz. and the warmth of dyn for a mid range spanks the DD.

but that is apples to oranges comparing the 2 drivers and their intended uses. if you want a nasty dedicated mid bass driver, the DD is where it's at.

can you space your window frame back? and/or make a small spacer ring to go under the mid?
if you can fit 3 1/4" mounting depth, the DD W6.5LT is the best mid bass driver in that size that i know of. for midbass depth and output, it kills the dyn's, etc. i have tested them head to head, IB in a door. for a full midrange driver, they only play up to about 2khz. and the warmth of dyn for a mid range spanks the DD.

but that is apples to oranges comparing the 2 drivers and their intended uses. if you want a nasty dedicated mid bass driver, the DD is where it's at.
well we finally have a DD dealer in my town so i went and had a look at the DD line. and specificly the W6.5lt drivers, all i can say is wow! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

for a 6.5inch driver they are huge. plus i can get a real good deal on them (considering i live in Canada). took a look at their subs and amps, all looks to be top notch. had the pleasure of listening to a 9100 series 12inch in a car with around 1300watts. nice....

now just have to convince my wife i NEED these drivers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

thing is they are lot more money (even at the good guy price) than the other choices i had listed, i guess i also have to figure out if it's all worth it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

joe

Have you considered the AA poly mids? They're a little over 3" deep, but a very small motor, so easier to fit. Midbass is VERY nice on them. I'm running 2 sets up front.

I HP them at 80Hz though, so not sure about 60Hz....

well we finally have a DD dealer in my town so i went and had a look at the DD line. and specificly the W6.5lt drivers, all i can say is wow! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.giffor a 6.5inch driver they are huge. plus i can get a real good deal on them (considering i live in Canada). took a look at their subs and amps, all looks to be top notch. had the pleasure of listening to a 9100 series 12inch in a car with around 1300watts. nice....

now just have to convince my wife i NEED these drivers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

thing is they are lot more money (even at the good guy price) than the other choices i had listed, i guess i also have to figure out if it's all worth it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

joe
150w with no hp xover, they (W6.5LT) took it all with jazz, etc.. this is IB in the door. took about 3/4 of that with rap. as the bass lines dropped, they kept reproducing them beyond where i'd expected them to roll off. xover @50 hz hp, they were begging for more power. they were loud, but they had a lot more in them. they don't just look mean, they back it up too.

i put them in my wifes truck so they could get played a lot. it takes a very long time to break them in. i left them in there a couple weeks. when it came time for me to take them out after i was done, she didn't want to give them back. not like the woman wasn't already spoiled with my dyns in there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.