CDT, JL, or Focal?

F16Fxer4real
10+ year member

I'm looking at a set of components for install into the vent/kick panels of my 65 Chevy Nova. I have a Soundstream 644S or 705S to run them. (havent decided if I'm going to cut the deck for rear fill yet)

Of these, which would you prefer. Or, of course, any others for the same price range.

CDT HD-52

JL Audio C5-525

Or Focal 130VB

Im also considering the equivalent Coaxials for ease of installation cause Id really prefer to not hack up the kick panels to much. I can fiberglass and thought about making some pods further down into the corners of the floor board but there isnt much leg room.

Almost forgot DLS as well, although I've been out of Car Audio for awhile and hadnt heard a set of any of their stuff before

They wont be the only set. There will also be a 10" JLW7 or W6V3, and still deciding on rear fill. There is the original hole in the middle for a 4X10 and I was trying to decide if I could or should go for a 4" or another 5 1/4 pointing to the outside of the car from the center rear. didnt think the imaging would sound good though

My music preference is literally from 50's and 60's classics for classic car shows, to old school bass groups (IE DJ magic mike, Techmaster PEB) to new rap/R&B

havent heard the Cdts, but if you have a local JL dealer go talk to them and see if they will give you a deal on the c5s. then at least for shows your at it will be a little uniform with your sub choice. Most people on here wont pick JL, i think you have some good choices either way you go.

Hey F16Fxer4real

What's your budget?

Are you planning to deadening your doors?

Are you looking for SQ, SQL, SPL ?

Are you looking for silk or titanium tweeter?

What type of midbass are you looking for?

Will this be a passive or active setup?

You should go to shop with some music that you like to see what sounds good to your ears.

I think the JL are good

They LPG tweeters, not sure if they make there own midbass drivers.

CDT tweeters are in house, but there upper midbass drivers are made by peerless/Vifa of old.

Focal builds all there own tweeters & midbass drivers.

You can also look into the new NVX drivers on sonixeletronics.

The drivers are built by SB Acoustics.

Arc audio are also useing SB Acouctics drivers.

HAT gets great reviews.

Hertz

Morel

If I were to by a basic 2way comp set

Yes over the past 3 months ive been to 3 different shops listening to these companies new speakers

Illusion Audio- flat EQ,

Warm tight non harsh upper midbass, tweeter warm soft.

I listen to 2 different set that illusion audio has.

They are made by Peerless of Idia

Audison-Voce- flat EQ

Warm not as strong of a midbass as the Focal, more natural sounding as in the HAT mids.

Tweeter was soft, but it had a nice top end.

Hertz & audison same company.

Helix- flat EQ

I listen to all of there 3 lines of speakers.

There top of the line is one of best I've heard.

The middle line was my favorite because I wanted something loud but still warm natural sounding.

I'm not sure make there speakers for them.

But with a prossesor you make most not all speakers sound great to your liking.

I'll be using the crossover in my 644S for now. I was going to use a 705S but think I'll be better off with the power of the 644 and then just install probably a SA-10 in the trunk. I just ordered 40 sq feet of Damplifier and will put it where I need it. Thinking about purchasing some of their foam as well, but not decided yet. Trying to not hack up my 65 Chevy Nova SS while having some decent tunes. I'm looking for sound quality as I like to listen to a lot of "live" music and have grown out of my booming stage, ....for now. I'm kind of worried the SA-10 is going to bring it back from what I keep reading

sorry, I forgot, Im trying to keep my budget around 300 for the front speakers. I'm also looking at comparable coaxials for simplicity. I like how the tweeters in a lot of them are angled now and not like they used to be. Will help with staging from the vent/kick panel

C5 are very neutral and dull unless you EQ the hell out of them. I like the diamond sound but use your ears. Just make sure when you demo stuff you listen to your music and make sure they haven't jacked the EQ up. Also sound boards are not cars.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.