CDT CL-61a new, but need alternatives

Participant count
  • Participant list

Belgarion
10+ year member

Ok,

The short version of the story is I finally recieved all the pieces to my setup, including the wiring, and my Saturn was T-boned a week later. Fortunately I had not had anything installed yet!

So, now I have these brand new in the box, never installed CDT 61a's that won't fit in my Grand Prix GTP! At least the factory speakers are 5.25", with .75" tweeters.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for the CDT's? I know people do not like recommending speakers, but at least I am using the CDT's as a comparison point. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for any/all suggestions!

why dont u just create custom mounts to fit the CDTs?

it's nto hard, n if u lazy u can just buy them off online, crutchfield believes carries some custom mounts, as Sounddomain probably does also.

why dont u just create custom mounts to fit the CDTs?it's nto hard, n if u lazy u can just buy them off online, crutchfield believes carries some custom mounts, as Sounddomain probably does also.
Interesting point.... I had not thought of that. Like fiberglass kick panel mounts....

I guess I should read up on these.... thanks for pointing that out!

If not, i got my Crystal CSC components this month and i love em.
on a side note, Midbass does **** when using 5 1/4 speakers.
That is exactly what I am afraid of! Sacrificing any sound quality by having to drop to a smaller set of comps....

yes, i used a 1" spacer in my 4x6 hole to get a 5.25" in there. They also make them to fit 6.5's so it will definantly fit. Definantly keep those CDT's.

yes, i used a 1" spacer in my 4x6 hole to get a 5.25" in there. They also make them to fit 6.5's so it will definantly fit. Definantly keep those CDT's.
yeah definitely keep them

but i dont mean kickpanels, altho it's a route u can go, they have spacers for ur door openings, u may have to modify the speaker grill a little bit cuz the speakers might stick out a little bit more, but nothing big. kickpanels r more expensive btw

yeah definitely keep them

but i dont mean kickpanels, altho it's a route u can go, they have spacers for ur door openings, u may have to modify the speaker grill a little bit cuz the speakers might stick out a little bit more, but nothing big. kickpanels r more expensive btw
Yes, the kick panels are an added expense, and I would rather not go that route. My only concern is getting a 6.5" peg into a 5.25" hole....

I have to take my car in on Saturday, and I will ask the mechanical at the dealership whether or not the mounting will even handle a 6.5" speaker. If it can, than I can live with the grill sticking out a little more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.