Cd7100 vs Deh-80prs

Participant count
  • Participant list
i owned both.....menu setup on the 80 prs is alot better along with bass output.....also on the 7100 u seem to have to crank the volume up more to get the results u want but doesnt usually clip until u have hit max volume or sometimes not at all

me tho i love my 80prs more and dont see myself switching back anytime soon or getting rid of my 80 prs

Can't knock the 8V preouts of the Eclipse. If you were going with any sort of external processing, I'd say the CD7100. Otherwise, the 80 is a little more friendly with the modern world (Fujitsu Ten's interface is horrible) and is a great deck if it's your first time going active. Also, the DAC on the Eclipse is amazing when playing CDs (at least it is on my 7200)...better than the P99RS if I do say so.

One vote against the Pio has to do with that stinkin' pico fuse and lower grade DAC.

One vote against the Eclipse has to do with the user interface and compatibility with iDevices (which you said you didn't care about).

wouldn't 8 volts preamp voltages on the Eclipse could limit the use of some amplifiers? And as far as options like HD, the Pioneer will have more items available and could be cheaper besides that it already has BT built in.
I may be wrong, my question is, how much better the Eclipse's SQ could it be? Will it be very noticeable? If the price is significantly cheaper and all you care is about sound and other member can confirm or recommend the Eclipse, then go for it.

If not go with the Pioneer just it is newer more flexibility for upgrades and probably for repairs and warranty if it fails.
There's a pretty noticeable difference in SQ between the two. Eclipse's decks are much warmer while the Pioneers tend to favor bass.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Also, the only amps I know of that aren't happy with over a 5V input are the Massive nano and nano bit and, if you're going SQ, wouldn't recommend them anyway.

There's a pretty noticeable difference in SQ between the two. Eclipse's decks are much warmer while the Pioneers tend to favor bass. 

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Also, the only amps I know of that aren't happy with over a 5V input are the Massive nano and nano bit and, if you're going SQ, wouldn't recommend them anyway.
Thanks Neo, for your point of view and helpful information, there it was my edited post above, he he.

@murph ; don't forget about the Clarion CZ702. Especially if this is your first trip into SQ and you hate it, it would probably be in your better interests to spend less on the deck and I've seen the Clarions go for under 200 online. Then you don't have to deal with the pico issues of the Pioneer or the super-high preouts of the Eclipse.

I believe the 80PRS has more bands for tuning. I thought my CD7000 compared to my 9887 had a much more transparent sound to it. The 9887 seemed to make things more warm sounding.

[quote name='neo_styles']@murph ; don't forget about the Clarion CZ702. Especially if this is your first trip into SQ and you hate it, it would probably be in your better interests to spend less on the deck and I've seen the Clarions go for under 200 online. Then you don't have to deal with the pico issues of the Pioneer or the super-high preouts of the Eclipse.[/QUOTE]

Not my first trip into sq. First active wise but, I know plenty about how to set it up. I like to spend more on a deck it is the brain of the system. High preouts benefit on old school amps because they almost always have higher gain settings than new amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

murph

10+ year member
Low for Life
murph
Richmond,VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date