Carputer 101

in my 1st setup, I had it running thru my panasonic HU, with 5v preout. NEVER used the disc, or radio again. SO it was just a processor with x-over. So, I decided to run a 1/2 din parametric eq, and the one I used was the clarion 746 (friend had it, not being used), and I tell u this... 50 times better sound. I didnt change my amps, components, or subs. Just went from a HU to an EQ. Used it from Monday to Friday, and loved every second of it. As far as amps and other stuff, I was running a 225 HCCA on 2 sets of RFP162S components and a 2100 HCCA on 3 PBX D1 15s.

in my 1st setup, I had it running thru my panasonic HU, with 5v preout. NEVER used the disc, or radio again. SO it was just a processor with x-over. So, I decided to run a 1/2 din parametric eq, and the one I used was the clarion 746 (friend had it, not being used), and I tell u this... 50 times better sound. I didnt change my amps, components, or subs. Just went from a HU to an EQ. Used it from Monday to Friday, and loved every second of it. As far as amps and other stuff, I was running a 225 HCCA on 2 sets of RFP162S components and a 2100 HCCA on 3 PBX D1 15s.
Wow. That just made my mind up. Since I won't have any room for the HU in the dash anyways, I will use a mounted EQ and run the carputer into that. I love this idea. I can't wait to get the rest of my stuff done so I can start budgetting the Carputer.

What is bootup time like with these?

depends on processor, and ram. I have the 1ghz with 1gb ram, and its about 30 to 40 seconds.
Sweet, I'm sure that 1G of ram helps that out. I can wait 30-40 seconds though, that's not bad at all. Are you running one of those skins that controls your music, movies, and navigation?

I have the same EQ. Now I'm wondering if the carputer staight to the clarion EQ then what about the AudioControl EQL or AudioControl EQS or the AudioControl DQL-8 . I wouldn't mind trying the AudioControl DQL-8 and see gow that works out

depends on processor, and ram. I have the 1ghz with 1gb ram, and its about 30 to 40 seconds.
Wow thats fast so far I have the Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard Memory Bundle

OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB

and a Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1000GB Hard Drive, I think the next two thinngs I get will be the video card and my sound card. Those crossfire radeon HD video card looks tight. With the mother board I have I xan run three of those radeon badboys 2gether for ultimate gaming and movie watching

Wow thats fast so far I have the Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard Memory BundleOCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB

and a Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1000GB Hard Drive, I think the next two thinngs I get will be the video card and my sound card. Those crossfire radeon HD video card looks tight. With the mother board I have I xan run three of those radeon badboys 2gether for ultimate gaming and movie watching
Dang thats some hardcore carputer specs. Those specs blow my current desktop out of the water and I thought I was going overboard with my truckputer lol. What are you going to use to power this beast? Least the stuff is getting somewhat cheap nowadays, scary the prices on those 1TB drives. I would think one lower end graphics card that didn't require its own power connector would be more suited to the carputer needs. I got a 2.4ghz AMD with 1gb of DDR2 800 ram and planning on using the on board video and on board sound at least for the time being and then maybe upgrade to a 256mb lower end video card if I ever run into issues with movies and such. Currently its setup with a 120gb drive, but I got some spare 500gb drives I may swap in.

Dang thats some hardcore carputer specs. Those specs blow my current desktop out of the water and I thought I was going overboard with my truckputer lol. What are you going to use to power this beast? Least the stuff is getting somewhat cheap nowadays, scary the prices on those 1TB drives. I would think one lower end graphics card that didn't require its own power connector would be more suited to the carputer needs. I got a 2.4ghz AMD with 1gb of DDR2 800 ram and planning on using the on board video and on board sound at least for the time being and then maybe upgrade to a 256mb lower end video card if I ever run into issues with movies and such. Currently its setup with a 120gb drive, but I got some spare 500gb drives I may swap in.
Ok you are being a little moddest. 500gb isn't anything to laugh at. As of now you and I are a head of he carputer game. I don't mean the world or this forum.Alot of people aren't going to spend what we have and arre going to spend Most people who run them only run 60-120gb maye be 60-80gb, that sounds a little more realidtic. When I first saw mega's carputer vids I was sold on the Idea. I mean I literally thought about it everyday non stop. I must have searched every Pc parts website on the net comparin g prices and seeing what would best suit my needs. The wow factor is awesome but functionality is key. carputers aren't that expensive like most things uprades are a killer. Then again you have to decide up front what do you want this carputer for. Then set a budget and then search for the bargins. When I say bargins I mean price wise not quality. I belive in buying quality. This is the power supply mega duggested http://store.mp3car.com/OPUS_320W_Intelligent_DC_DC_PSU_p/pwr-024.htm. I don't know because those radeon cards need more juice. I am def looking for HD picture. I have an accer 22" screen and I want to be able to use my 1680x1080 resolution. I am doing my thang thang. i see why most guys take years to truley complete their project vehicles. It takes preperation palnning overall goals,time, money,patience, perserverance money and money and even more money. I'm going to do a few more searches for video cards.. Do you have your stuff mounted behind the dash? or do you have it else where? Are you using a tower? I am thinking of using a tower but bolting everyyhing down would be better when the bass drops (lol!)

Anything bigger than 10" for a screen is a waste. Why not mount a 42" overhead? My 7" was almost too bright at night. My next system is getting an 8 prolly. Had a 10, and decided it was too big, drew too much outside attention. Dont want that.

Ok you are being a little moddest. 500gb isn't anything to laugh at. As of now you and I are a head of he carputer game. I don't mean the world or this forum.Alot of people aren't going to spend what we have and arre going to spend Most people who run them only run 60-120gb maye be 60-80gb, that sounds a little more realidtic. When I first saw mega's carputer vids I was sold on the Idea. I mean I literally thought about it everyday non stop. I must have searched every Pc parts website on the net comparin g prices and seeing what would best suit my needs. The wow factor is awesome but functionality is key. carputers aren't that expensive like most things uprades are a killer. Then again you have to decide up front what do you want this carputer for. Then set a budget and then search for the bargins. When I say bargins I mean price wise not quality. I belive in buying quality. This is the power supply mega duggested http://store.mp3car.com/OPUS_320W_Intelligent_DC_DC_PSU_p/pwr-024.htm. I don't know because those radeon cards need more juice. I am def looking for HD picture. I have an accer 22" screen and I want to be able to use my 1680x1080 resolution. I am doing my thang thang. i see why most guys take years to truley complete their project vehicles. It takes preperation palnning overall goals,time, money,patience, perserverance money and money and even more money. I'm going to do a few more searches for video cards.. Do you have your stuff mounted behind the dash? or do you have it else where? Are you using a tower? I am thinking of using a tower but bolting everyyhing down would be better when the bass drops (lol!)
Yea I loved the idea of a carputer since I have been building my own desktops for a while and enjoy doing that. The Power supply you linked is the same one I went with. All my hardware is mounted at the back of my cab (4 door pickup) along with my amplifiers, then I have USB extensions and a 20' VGA cable running up into the dash for the screen and dvd drive and other stuff. I am also planning on running some into my center console for the mini keyboard and touchpad I have, as well as maybe for a bluetooth dongle and such. I'm still working on mounting everything and getting it all happy first though, then I am planning on adding on here and there with wifi, get gps up and running, and maybe even add a tv tuner card to pick up some tv when I can.

Anything bigger than 10" for a screen is a waste. Why not mount a 42" overhead? My 7" was almost too bright at night. My next system is getting an 8 prolly. Had a 10, and decided it was too big, drew too much outside attention. Dont want that.
I feel you on the unwanted attention. I don't want to use the acer 22" as my main screen. That is soley for car shows. I wanted it to be mounted behind the dash for motorization but I think its to big so I probably buy a 10"- 19" for motorization.

Yea I loved the idea of a carputer since I have been building my own desktops for a while and enjoy doing that. The Power supply you linked is the same one I went with. All my hardware is mounted at the back of my cab (4 door pickup) along with my amplifiers, then I have USB extensions and a 20' VGA cable running up into the dash for the screen and dvd drive and other stuff. I am also planning on running some into my center console for the mini keyboard and touchpad I have, as well as maybe for a bluetooth dongle and such. I'm still working on mounting everything and getting it all happy first though, then I am planning on adding on here and there with wifi, get gps up and running, and maybe even add a tv tuner card to pick up some tv when I can.
I feel the same way about carputers. I have wanted to do this for a while so I said F it. I am trying to decide what video to use. I don't want to run a seperate gaming console so I am looking for a good card for games that do not need a seperate power supply. I am open to suggestions

Hi,

This is jessica,One of their readers, Brandon Holland, is using an Apple TV as a carputer. He chiefly uses it as an in-car entertainment center, but it also does double duty as a GPS system using the Road Trip plugin which he has now released over at AwkwardTV.

=============================================

jessica

Connecticut Drug Treatment

Hi,

This is sanju,I never have expiernced any problems. If you keep you computer volume at about 95% it should and will stay clear through out,you can than use your volume control on your HU to control the volume easily. And be sure you have a nice rca to headphone cable if you go cheap you will get a whining noise sometimes.

===================================================

sanju

Florida Drug Treatment

lol seems carputer thread is the good place for spam links. Funny part is looks like they actually put in some effort and thought into those posts, least the second one was actually somewhat informative I thought, not new to me but what I have been planning on doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...