Carputer 101

hmm.. k. I'm wanting to take my factory radio out and just have the screen in the dash.. Is there any other way to get a tuner in the computer or dvd/tuner combo or something so i can still have radio?

Also what do you think about this deal? I don't really need a case, i'll just mount it in my glove box and install some fans.. I've seen it done in a titan..

MSI motherboard (MB and PSU combo $99)

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8

1 gig DDR2 ram ($39)

160 gig HDD ($69)

DVD drive from a old computer (free)

XP sp2 (free)

10.4" touch screen ($219)

DC-DC power supply ($160)

Misc. parts and supplies ($100)

Total $686

Ah and one more question.. Are there any other methods of running my audio system than buying an amp? I guess i could use my factory radio but i wanted to do away with it because my screen is going to take up the whole dash.. Any suggestions?

you can run an aftermarket head unit in the glove box or under the seat and control everything via the computer.

A sound cards output is only good for a few watts at best. You'll never effectivly drive any real stereo system off of it.

At WORST case, I'd get at least a small 4 channel amp and run the leads from the sound card to the amp's input. OR.....dont even use a sound card. SoundBlaster has a USB sound device which is then a pair of RCA outputs, which works perfectly.

So I'm trying to make a series of switches for my carputer. I want them to work as follows:

1. acc switch on, power on computer when acc activated.

2. 12v switch on, when car is turning off, computer stay on.

I could see myself sometimes just wanting to sit in the car while my girl runs into a store to grab something for 5 mins, or whatever. When I turn the car off though, I don't want the pc to power off with it. So would this config work? I posted this below at mp3car, but man sometimes they just take forever to post back.

untitled-15.jpg

Or what if I put a diode on the acc line to prevent any current from traveling back up into the acc? That would prevent the acc from shorting out too...I think?

Yeah I know, but I really want to use these 2 switches I have. I have these neat little toggle switches with an led that turns on when they are activated, so I wanted to throw them both in the car. That diagram makes sense though right? It SHOULD work, no?

most newer cars have a "key in"line where as long as the key is in the ignition, the line will still have 12v.

Other than that, get a two position switch and a relay. Wire the center of the switch to the carputer remote line, wire position 1 on the switch to constant 12v, and wire position 2 to a relay post 85 or 86. When the switch is in position 1, the carputer will remain on indefinitely. When the switch is in position 2, the carputer will function with car acc as normal.

most newer cars have a "key in"line where as long as the key is in the ignition, the line will still have 12v.
Other than that, get a two position switch and a relay. Wire the center of the switch to the carputer remote line, wire position 1 on the switch to constant 12v, and wire position 2 to a relay post 85 or 86. When the switch is in position 1, the carputer will remain on indefinitely. When the switch is in position 2, the carputer will function with car acc as normal.
on my accord when i had the carputer i wired it too accesor and when i turn the key back one into just acc, the PSU still went to shutdown unless i take out key and put it back in real fast(before 5second delay) to keep it running. its weird.

i say get a relay and a switch too it will be more convenient for you to not have to worry.

Well what I'll do is try and see if my way at least works since I already have the switches. If not, I guess I'll just buy one of those on/off/on switches, wiring one of the on's to 12v, the other to acc.

Another question though, do any of you have usb hubs powered off your 5v of the psu?

Well what I'll do is try and see if my way at least works since I already have the switches. If not, I guess I'll just buy one of those on/off/on switches, wiring one of the on's to 12v, the other to acc.
Another question though, do any of you have usb hubs powered off your 5v of the psu?
no, but i powered my LCD off the PSU molex connector except i had it wired to a relay because i wired pc to accesory, so remote start pc turns on but i didnt want lcd to turn on until key was in

no, but i powered my LCD off the PSU molex connector except i had it wired to a relay because i wired pc to accesory, so remote start pc turns on but i didnt want lcd to turn on until key was in
Oh thats neat, so no one would detect your pc I guess?

Well I already know I'm going to need a hub, but I'm confused on how to exactly power it off the psu. Do I just hack the a/c wire up and run it to the 5v and the other to ground?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...