Carpeting Tutorial

so you cut the grove big enough to leave a little space? it hink im starting to get it now lol. But how do you get the sides to be in there? so there is a lip?

so you cut the grove big enough to leave a little space? it hink im starting to get it now lol. But how do you get the sides to be in there? so there is a lip?
You cut a groove in the top, bottom, front and back. Then you put the rabbited edges on the sides. That allows you to slide the sides into the grooves for a good fit. Get it?

refer to the first 3 pics, particularly 2 and 3. There you can see the rabbited edge on the side panel and see the grooves on the bottom,back panels. Then the side fits into the groove.

let us know how it sounds.............................i designed it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Finally got everything installed, and holy **** is all I can say. My last car audio setup was 2 12w6's like five years ago, and since I got rid of those i've been without subs for a loooooong time. When I got the ava's installed and barely cranked it, my entire truck was shaking, it was like I was in some sort of pressurized vortex, frequency extension is unbelieveable. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I may have to downsize though, I need room for tools so i'll probably get a moe lester box built. BJfish11, be looking for a pm from me for a quote for a box for a single 15 ava in the near future! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Finally got everything installed, and holy **** is all I can say. My last car audio setup was 2 12w6's like five years ago, and since I got rid of those i've been without subs for a loooooong time. When I got the ava's installed and barely cranked it, my entire truck was shaking, it was like I was in some sort of pressurized vortex, frequency extension is unbelieveable. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I may have to downsize though, I need room for tools so i'll probably get a moe lester box built. BJfish11, be looking for a pm from me for a quote for a box for a single 15 ava in the near future! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
sounds good man, just got the dhl bill earlier this week, that thing wasnt cheap to ship //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

I think I do kind of close to what you do to carpet your boxes. I make the rectangular box without the face and back first. Then I take the carpet, and carpet it so that the seam is at the bottom, folding the ends of the carpet inside the box and afizing it into a 1/16th deep rabet on the inner edge. you don't see a single seal accept for the bottom. Then I take the face, and back that fit inside the box flush and tight to the router table. I run a 1/4" rabet for the carpet to be stapled on the inside. Wrap the pices, staple them, then bring them to the box. Internally I put a lip made of two layers of 2x3/4" strips. I place the lips so that they are completley sealed at the joints . This lip provides the shelf that the face and back will sit into. I glue the **** out of it and place the face and back in place. .......

I have a thread where I posted this. I'll try to find it.....

here it is.....

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115429&page=2

we have a similar styles in aplying carpet kind of. I like your style, but am kind of partial to my own. Probably only because it is what I have done for a long time. YOu could also do the siedes instead of the face and back.. which ever floats the boat, or best looks iyo.

I've never done this technique before, so I'll try it on my new box. Do I rabbet down the sides 5/8"?
Just noticed you replied in here. In case you still need to know, you just need to rabbet it down to whatever thickness you need to accomodate to the width of the cut from your straight cutting router bit. EX. I use a 3/8" straight cutting bit, so I rabbet my sides right in half, leaving 3/8" to set in the grove made by the straight cutting bit.

will the straightcutting bit be 3/8" wide?

how do you attach the sides to the frame? glue + normal screws or will the screws split the edges?

will the straightcutting bit be 3/8" wide?
how do you attach the sides to the frame? glue + normal screws or will the screws split the edges?
Yes, i use a 3/8" bit, so the groove is 3/8" wide.

As far as assembling, I just use wood glue and 1 5/8" drywall screws. Make sure to predrill your holes and you will not have any splitting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bjfish11

5,000+ posts
FisherCustoms.com
bjfish11
Garden Plain, KS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date