Carpet and How to Port

Seedorfj

I am currently planning a nice little sub box for a 15" Vega V-MAX. Its only one sub so nothing super special, I know it would be better to have two but lets not go there. The box I am planning is going to be uncarpeted, however not unfinished. Its going to be stained black with a nice red stripe around to match the Cerwin Vega surround. I'll include some pictures of the 3D draw up. So is it ok not to have carpet, its going to be sitting on it in the back of an SUV. My next question is on porting. How big do I need the port to be and where should I put it on my box. Right now is basically as far from the sub as it can get.

Ok, apparently I am not allowed to post pictures, so ignore that. WTF?

Carpet is only a personal preference. The enclosure size and tuning frequency will determine how big you want your port. 12-16 square inches of port area per cubic foot of enclosure is the standard for slot ports; or 8-12 square inches of port area per cube for areo ports. Tune to around 32-35hz if this is your first ported box.

Carpet is only a personal preference. The enclosure size and tuning frequency will determine how big you want your port. 12-16 square inches of port area per cubic foot of enclosure is the standard for slot ports; or 8-12 square inches of port area per cube for areo ports. Tune to around 32-35hz if this is your first ported box.
Wo what is the difference between areo and slot ports. This is my first time and I was just thinking put a big circle in the side and call it good. I want to be able to maintain the crisp clean precise look of the box so I'm not quite sure how to vary the port size and do this, will I just have to scrap the piece I am tuning with? Also while tuning do you mean play 32-35hz while testing the port sizes? Thanks for your response

Now I still consider my self a noob, but I used RE box calculator and I try to stay as close to factory specs as possibe. You should try to tune your box to a frequency rather then just adding a hole. This stuff is quite a science that I'm still trying to understand my self

I have decided to replace the hole idea with an adjustable damper, I will be able to tune the box to any frequency I want on the spot easily. It will even go all the way to being a sealed box if I am in the mood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.