Car Speaker Issues-Dead battery. Is it my amp??

Vazgod

CarAudio.com Newbie
First post. Also wanted to mention that I am an amateur at this kinda stuff. Anyway my current set up in my car is 4 JBL GX series speakers connected to an alpine power pack, and a single 12" 1,200 watt SDR series sub and amp from skar audio my head unit is also a Sony MEX120bt. So when I first installed everything I was able to get amazing sound and great quality bass. For about 4 months this was all fine and dandy until suddenly my car would no longer start. I drive a 2009 chevy Aveo. It turned out my battery was dying but I placed the blame on the battery itself simply cause a cell inside was defective and it seemed to be for quite a while. I tend to blast the music on most days but am cautious simply because my vehicle is essentially exploding hahaha. So after this entire fiasco I bought a new battery. Everything was going fine for about 3 months, up until this recent week the audio again was amazing. About 3 weeks after getting the new battery I took my car into an audio shop to get it checked cause my sub was not receiving signal. The dude working told me it was my remote wire and that it was no good. He took the remote wire and cut it from an existing remote wire connection behind the headunit. He took that remote wire, the one that runs from the amp in the back to the front and connected it to the power for the headunit. Now this actually was not the issue and it was actually my speaker wire that was just **** so that was changed. I left the remote wire were he placed it and for 2 months it was all good. Now mind you I was using the car legit everyday and the battery was brand new. One day after going for a cruise and blasting music I noticed my window speed was slowing meaning I wasnt getting much power. After letting the car sit over night I came back to a dead car. When I took the battery in it read 6.2v!!!!!!! The dude at autozone told me it was likely cause something is staying on. I dont know what though. Is it cause he moved my remote wire to the red wire coming out of my headunit meaning it is getting a constant source of 12v?? Tomorrow I will checking all wires to ensure no wires are touching metal or anything. I will also be checking my alternator just cause, but that is new and was recently checked so cant be that. Could I put the remote wire he moved back on the remote wire it was connected to before? We knew it wasnt that but rather the speaker wire from the amp to the sub. Further, someone told me to add a kill switch from the remote wire that runs from the amp in the back to the front. Is that necessary? If it isnt and the issue could be fixed could I add it anyway just for my own closure? I would always want to know that my amp is off. Again I truly apologize about the blain and long post. First post on a forum like this. Any help would be much appreciated!!!! THANK YOU!!! ALso something I forgot to add, being that the amp is connected to the head unit power, when I turn my car off and take the key out the headunit stays on, or rather displays the time, it is not until I open the door that it turns off, now this is usual as it was true for my old headunit before things were added and im pretty sure a feature in every car ever hahaha but just wanted to add it cause it may help.

Last edited:
Your car battery is dying due to the wiring behind the head unit. I don't know what anyone was thinking as they wired it to stay on when you leave the car. The amps rely on the head unit signal cable to tell them when to turn off so they're likely always powered on. They use quite a bit even when they're not playing music.

Check the lights on your amps, they should be turning off at the same time as your head unit. If they're not then there's a major wiring issue.. Also no, you should never have to use a switch to turn off the amps, that's a ghetto solution for no reason.

I might have missed something, but I tried my best to read that giant block of text.

Short version:
Is it cause he moved my remote wire to the red wire coming out of my headunit meaning it is getting a constant source of 12v?
Yes, most likely.
Further, someone told me to add a kill switch from the remote wire that runs from the amp in the back to the front. Is that necessary? If it isnt and the issue could be fixed could I add it anyway just for my own closure?
It's not necessary, it's a ghetto and unreliable solution. You can do anything you want with your own car, but it's not proper.

Your car battery is dying due to the wiring behind the head unit. I don't know what anyone was thinking as they wired it to stay on when you leave the car. The amps rely on the head unit signal cable to tell them when to turn off so they're likely always powered on. They use quite a bit even when they're not playing music.

Check the lights on your amps, they should be turning off at the same time as your head unit. If they're not then there's a major wiring issue.. Also no, you should never have to use a switch to turn off the amps, that's a ghetto solution for no reason.

I might have missed something, but I tried my best to read that giant block of text.
I really appreciate the reply. Also yea I guess I overkilled it with the texts. I wanted to add that the amp behind my dash is connected both wire the headunit and has a separate power wire with its own fuse that runs to the battery. Idk if this is relevant but perhaps a useful piece of information.

I really appreciate the reply. Also yea I guess I overkilled it with the texts. I wanted to add that the amp behind my dash is connected both wire the headunit and has a separate power wire with its own fuse that runs to the battery. Idk if this is relevant but perhaps a useful piece of information.
Not a problem and that's the normal way an amp should be connected. The issue is that signal on cable if it's staying energized while you're out of the car. Looking at the amp when the car thinks you're not in it there's usually a light on them. The light should turn off at the same time as your radio or when you turn the key off (or shortly after due to some capacitance inside the amp).

Advice... Stay away from that Audio Shop. That Guy that wired the Remote to the Constant supply wiring is an idiot. Always turn the volume down and the radio OFF before turning the vehicle off

It is kind of dangerous to do this things to the car because it cannot support such "pression". So, if you don't care about the car then go on, kill it until it stops working. I know a lot of guys from my town that loves to tune their cars and to have fun with cool subs inside. The music sounds good, but it is too strong for the car and it gets destroyed. So you better change the entire system or better put a normal sound system. I wanted to do like you as well, but my brother that works at https://narscars.com.ua/en/kiev-r2, know what means a car and how to take care of it. So he told me not to be stupid and to leave it like it was.

Last edited:
If your car doesn’t have a power antenna, you can use that lead off the back of the head unit for your remote turn on wire also. You can also wire it into the ignition circuit. im not sure what that shop was thinking, if at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.