Car Security

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bumpin03
10+ year member

James Madison University
Virginia
OK, I don't know anything at all about car alarms at all. All I know is that they beep when someone touches your car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . haha. Well I just got my new system and I live in kind of a bad area for theft. I know a lot of people in my school that break into peoples cars that they know have nice stuff and steal it. So I'm in the market for a car alarm. But heres the problem...I am only going to have this car for about another 5 months, then im getting a new one. If I bought my alarm at best buy and had them install it, is it easy to uninstall and then install again into a new car??? Or should i just buy a really cheap one now and keep it in this car and when i get a new car get a nicer one??? I need suggestions...thanks.

well obviously im going to the wrong place...because best buy just said they would charge me $110 for the alarm (Cheapest one there) another $100 for installation and another $100 for them to take it out....RIP OFF!!!

if you are feeling up to it, buy a $60 alarm from jcw and install it yourself. it should come with detailed instructions. or have a friend who knows what hes doing help you install it.

dude, i work at best buy... where do you live? the price of install should be included in the price of an alarm, and they SHOULD be taking it back out for FREE. If you could tell me where you live, and the address of that store, i would really like to have a chat with their installation supervisor. You can get a nice car alarm with keyless entry for like 200 installed.

Best Buy in Carousel Mall in Syracuse, New York

they aren't taht hard to install??? you think I could do it myself??? I don't want a remote car start or anything fancy like that....but if i could install and uninstall myself..i might go with one of those LCD pager ones for around $175 on ebay. Or if anybody else has any other suggestions...

some alarms install with only 1 or 2 wires...those are very simple. i actually havent installed one yet, but ive been looking around for one and it seems like a big project if you arent really into car electronics and trying to read chilton schematics. It all depends on what you want in an alarm. most cheap ones will only take 10-20 minutes (depending). you might even learn something about your car if you do it yourself

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.