Car Rumbling Audio

nightwookie

I am pretty much a new comer to this field. Last week, I was sitting at a red light, and my car started shaking. I finally realized it was the car behind me audio system. I could barely hear music, but it was putting out audio that was causing my car to feel like it was jumping around and vibrating! What kind of equipment would it take to be able to have that kind of sound? Does it take thousands? Is it amp, speakers, or what. I am an amateur, just curious.

To be done properly, one must invest a a couple of thousand on just electrical upgrades, ie; high output altenator, a battery bank some can have a dozen or more batteries. Then another couple of thousand on a high grade amp for your subs. Then another couple of thousand for subs. Then you have to get an amp for your mids and highs, after about a thousand for those speakers. So around 6 to 10 thousand dollars. I have a fairly simple system in my car, soon to be an 18 inch sub-650, sub amp retails for 780, a small class d amp for my kids and highs-110, kids and high speakers I got good deals on, total of 60. About 450 in batteries for a total of around 1500, not including my head unit which was 240. This is probably my 40th variation in the past 10 years. It is an exspensive addiction, I mean hobby. The upgrade bug usually bites every 6 months or so, once your ears get use to what ever your are currently running, you will start asking yourself, what can I really fit in the real estate that I have. Some even rmove seats and cut sheet metal in their vehicle to make the next unicorn sub/s fit in, or actually build the enclosure in the trunk to make sure there is enough room for proper displacement capability. You can look at the bottom of my post to see what all I have put myself through to get to where I am now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was there to dislike? Did I lie about something? No, everyone does not go that far in, but there are plenty that do. A decent set up could easily set one back a couple of thousand. I didn't even mention the cost of sound deadening. A question was asked, and I answered it as honestly as I could. But oh well, after all it is just my opinion, after all, I have been wrong before, and probably will be again, pretty much why a lot of us are here, to hopefully learn from our mistakes and help others to not make the same mistakes that we have made on our quest to rumble the car next to us at the light, not that I would do such of a thing. I will keep further opinions to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got something at that level for my buddy. 240 for a skar zvx 18 in a ported box tuned to 28hz from ateam skar audio member. 80 bucks for an audiopipe 1500. He had a basic aftermarket head unit and his vehicle stays above 12.0 volts on drops based on how i set the gain. So a 143 to 145db setup for less than 350 install gear included. Having a hatchback or SUV helps you get loud easier than trunks as well. Buddy has a 1999 ford explorer. As for rattles, we only had to find some foam or foam underlayment to shove and decouple the rear hatch window and the vehicle is rattle free on the inside.

Gotta stalk the local classifieds if you want bang for buck.

What was there to dislike? Did I lie about something? No, everyone does not go that far in, but there are plenty that do. A decent set up could easily set one back a couple of thousand. I didn't even mention the cost of sou nd deadening. A question was asked, and I answered it as honestly as I could. But oh well, after all it is just my opinion, after, I have been wrong before, and probably will be again, pretty why a lot of us are here, to hopefully from our mistake and help others to not make the same mistakes that we have made on our quest to rumble the car next to us at the light, not that I would do such of a thing. I will keep further opinions to myself.
Probably because you can get pretty loud for dirt cheap if you know how to work it. There are budget bangers that can beat out several thousand dollar setups.

Still doesnt warrant a dislike tho

I am pretty much a new comer to this field. Last week, I was sitting at a red light, and my car started shaking. I finally realized it was the car behind me audio system. I could barely hear music, but it was putting out audio that was causing my car to feel like it was jumping around and vibrating! What kind of equipment would it take to be able to have that kind of sound? Does it take thousands? Is it amp, speakers, or what. I am an amateur, just curious.
This is completely subjective so there's no way of telling. Some people would say that about very modestly priced setup, or you could have been in front of a guy who had over 10,000$ tied up into equipment, electrical system, and install.

This is completely subjective so there's no way of telling. Some people would say that about very modestly priced setup, or you could have been in front of a guy who had over 10,000$ tied up into equipment, electrical system, and install.
Or hes super sensitive to vibration and it was just a guy with a pair of 12s in a prefab with a junk 2 channel amp.

Wow. The guy probably had some setup like this, as he was was driving a very expensive SUV. I can see how this could easily get into the thousands if you went top notch with everything. Thanks!

Loud can be cheapLoud and reliable will cost you

Loud reliable and great over all sound will cost you more. 5 figures
That is basically what I was eluding to. I believe loud, and rumbling bass can be sseparate.I was beside an suv a while ago, I couldn't really hear, was bumping my own, but I could feel that bitcsh. And the proper sticker was on the rear window, 'GROUNDPOUNDER'. I said that I was through sorry.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.