car radio amp broken

aidank

just a question hopefully someone might be able to help me

im driving a 2005 corolla with a standard radio in it

it runs for a minute sometimes more times 30 secs and then cuts out, no sound from either radio or CD, radio doesnt go dead its still receiving etc, clock keeps time it displays temperature all quite accurate

I took it out at the weekend expecting to find a loose wire but no luck

had a chat with a man today that does starters and alternators for his living, his diagnosis is that the amplifier is gone in the radio, its a built in amplifier obviously, no seperate amp

I could get one from a scrappie but fancy a go at fixing it myself

anyone ever replaced an amplifier in a radio

radio is a panasonic W58814 or might be known as CQ-TS7471Lc, got the numbers when I took it apart at the weekend?

anyone got any links to tutorials about examining radio circuitery and replacing amps

any bright ideas?

So I presume you want no aftermarket radio in the near future? Strictly interested in factory radio only?

\Ninja... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So I presume you want no aftermarket radio in the near future? Strictly interested in factory radio only?
\Ninja... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
happy enough with it if it was working right, sound is quite good from it actually

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Wouldn't the radio actually have to be working and outputting signal for him to wire a new amp?
was thinking the same myself

It could also be one of his speakers dead/dying and creading a strange impedence load for the amp in the radio. Take it to a car audio shop, pay them unless you're ready to learn DC electronics as a new hobby.

It could also be one of his speakers dead/dying and creading a strange impedence load for the amp in the radio. Take it to a car audio shop, pay them unless you're ready to learn DC electronics as a new hobby.
Im a biomed engineer by profession, and studined mech eng in college to masters level, so have a basic understanding of electronics, would love to learn DC electronics as a hobby!

any pointers on where to start, its fine to say get a book and learn about voltage drops with regard to resistors capacitors and diodes and transistors, but not sure how that would fit in with a car radio

to update on this, I managed to find a manual for the radio online, the part number for the amp is

reference number IC231 part number C1BA00000345

who do you all use for electronic supplies?

Ive had a look on farnell and radionics and don't see it listed,

I see it listed here in USA but out of stock

CCE Parts: Page Not Found

wouldn't mind a shot at fixing it myself, as everyday is a school day isn't it

That seems to be a Panasonic part number. It may be another part with Panasonic's number on it but cross referencing it will be tedious. You'd have to find spec sheets for car radio "chip amps" and compare the package and pinouts to what you have. An example of popular chip amps can be found in this DIY forum thread: Which chipamp for car audio - diyAudio

Have you contacted Panasonic directly?

That seems to be a Panasonic part number. It may be another part with Panasonic's number on it but cross referencing it will be tedious. You'd have to find spec sheets for car radio "chip amps" and compare the package and pinouts to what you have. An example of popular chip amps can be found in this DIY forum thread: Which chipamp for car audio - diyAudio
Have you contacted Panasonic directly?
not yet

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.