Car Face Off

DupeZ
10+ year member

MA
Ok guys, heres whats going on:

I'm looking for a new car after totalling my old one. Heres what i've found so far.

(lets say that i'm going to choose one of these two)

Whats the better choice?

I'm looking for something reliable.

From a large dealership:

03' Chevy Malibu - 120k Miles. Close to mint condition. Clean Carfax. All highway miles (previous owner drove from MA to TX for the army). Salesman claims the owner was a mechanic in the army and took good care of the car (did his own tune up before trading in for a truck). comes with 30 day warranty. flawless ride, except the brakes felt a little mushy.

Price: 5,000

From a very small salesman/mechanic:

97' Pontiac Bonneville. This one has an interesting story; apparently it encountered a known problem with the bonnevilles, coolant leaked into the manifold so the engine was replaced. so this car has 97k miles on the body, which is in great condition, and it has a 98' LeSabre engine in it with 41k miles on it. comes with 30 day warranty. when i drove it, i noticed a faint "whining" sound, almost like a faint RC car type of noise, i didnt know if it was doing this because it doesnt run often or if its a problem. also, the gas gauge isnt working, and the time/radio station doesnt appear on the stock radio. i was hoping this wasnt an electrical issue, since i was planning on putting my sound system in whatever i get.

Price: 4,000

What do you guys think?

Hmm, out of those two, I'd probably pick the Bonneville, only because I've had experience with one.

But if you could find one, I'd look for a early '90's Bonneville SSE.

My parents had a '90 SSE a few years ago and man, that 3.8L V6 was FAST.

Theirs was all black on factory black rims with factory spoiler and 5% tint on the rear windows, and for a family sedan, it was sexy as hell.

/useless post.

i had 2 bonnevilles already and loved em. They are tanks. The replaced engine is the only thing that concerns me. I got $3800 from my accident and i have 1-2 more saved. so around 5 grand is what im looking to spend. I just finished school for this year on thursday, and have begun looking for cars, so i can work this summer- i live in a very suburban area. I'm not one to buy before researching, but i've only read "official" reviews. but yeah, according to KBB and NADA the malibu should be almost a grand more. all of the bonnevilles around here are 4g +, and sell quickly. the malibu wont take my 6x9s //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

no offense, but i had 5k to spend, i'd buy a used lexus...they will have a bit more mileage, but a lexus will run forever if it's been taken care of and you continue to do the same.

Both seem kinda high, and dont always take the salesmen word for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I would lookat the bonneville, those were considered "luxuary" cars back in the day, had one and it was awesome, (especially if you get the supercharged edition) good pickup for a old man car... lol. but with a newer engine, you cant go wrong.... do these cars have a warranty? or is one from a private seller?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.