Cap or 2nd battery.

got-one-eight
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ive been told by a few the cap does nothing but it would be the easiest for me to install and use. I have a 10 farad I am looking at to match with my system. As of now I am getting very little light dimming but I am also still breaking in my sub so I havent pushed it hard. Would a Stinger 10 Farad cap help at all? My other option was an HC600 battery but I didn't want to have to run a negative all the way back to the battery. Thanks for any advice.

I've never had a cap, but I'm going for E.E. and I've read around a good bit on caps in car audio... doesn't seem like a good idea. Occasional people say they help, but either way its covering up a problem.

I'd vote second battery out personally, your car audio is from my understanding running off you alternator, not pulling from your battery normally.

What wiring are you running for what power? I've heard that skimpy wiring will actually cause dimming more than anything.

I've never had a cap, but I'm going for E.E. and I've read around a good bit on caps in car audio... doesn't seem like a good idea. Occasional people say they help, but either way its covering up a problem.
Exactly. That problem is a lack of current being supplied.

Capacitors are a voltage regulating device. They store electricity and discharge it quickly to help with voltage issues. Most problems with car audio systems is a lack of current being supplied to a large amplifier, not a lack of voltage. Adding extra batteries will increase the ability of the source to provide large amounts of current.

a good second battery is like having a 100 farad cap. put it that way. get one of my batts in my sig or if you only need minimal help do the big 3 and put a yellow top under the hood

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.