Cant get unit to power

Participant count
  • Participant list

smure101

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi,

Im trying to install an android unit into my car. It came out of an Audi so had cabling going into a little audi canbus. It wouldnt power up so decided to by pass the can buss so have connected 12v yellow, black earth and acc red wires and cut all the canbus ones but its still now powering. Wondered if anyone could help? Car is a Jag X type but cant see why the canbus would be a necessary part....

Can you tell us specifically which Audi it came out of or specifically which model head unit it is? The Canbus could be used to provide anti-theft circuitry that handshakes with the Audi BCM. AFAIK if the radio uses Canbus signals, it is used for anti-theft and for sending certain drive conditions to the radio (specifically reverse signal for rearview camera). If you cut the canbus wire you may just a have a brick now as in most cases (depending on the specific model) you need a canbus simulator in order to run a canbus radio in a non-canbus car.

Hi, I think it was an Audi B4, the unit is one of those standard android, no model number, no manufacturer. It does have a DVD drive and loaded sat nav so I'm thinking its a few years old.

The instructions for the radio were very specific that the red acc wire had to be connected, when I picked it up the red wire was going to the canbus so the power coming from car was going via canbus and then to head unit. I presumed this to be the issue that as it wasnt an Audi the software wasnt telling it to boot up. I still have all the wires from the unit that went to the canbus as I cut them individually.

This canbus thing is confusing me, what it make sense that if I got a canbus simulator that you mention it should work? I googled Canbus for Jag Xtype but its a 15 year old car so cant see any.......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.