Can't get enough power - G6 Install

Participant count
  • Participant list
His head unit is better than mine, has a 5 band eq, couple extra EQs and a sub level/lpf. He's got the works. So max the sub output then set gains?
id set the sub preouts eq's to flat and then like i said if the sub level goes from -6 to 6 set it at 0, and if it goes from 0 to a number like 8 or 12 set it at the max.

we are talking about sub only RCA's from the headunit right? if you're using the rear channel and the headunit doesnt have a subwoofer specific setting then it's going to be a different story.

It goes -6 to 6, and has a dedicated sub out, then two speaker outs.
Then set it at 0. Make sure your headunit volume is atleast 75% up or higher when you set your gains too. What amp are you using btw? Maybe the amp is not powerful enough to run 650w@2ohms.

Then set it at 0. Make sure your headunit volume is atleast 75% up or higher when you set your gains too. What amp are you using btw? Maybe the amp is not powerful enough to run 650w@2ohms.
That's what I did. You missed the part where I said I can hit that voltage in MY car. So his is the problem. We've determined that his clipping point is 25/35 by using a 1khz test tone and listening for distortion. Is there a possibility that we did something wrong on the wiring? It works, its loud, but its not even close to my Blazer. Once again we used the EXACT same wiring kit. I paid to have mine done because I didn't realize how easy it was. I know how to set gains correctly, and I just can't draw enough power to hit 36.06V. His alternator is actually 20A stronger than mine, he has newer, better electrical. So why can't I hit voltage in his car using the same equipment I use in mine? (All of my parts work, I bang em daily)

That's what I did. You missed the part where I said I can hit that voltage in MY car. So his is the problem. We've determined that his clipping point is 25/35 by using a 1khz test tone and listening for distortion. Is there a possibility that we did something wrong on the wiring? It works, its loud, but its not even close to my Blazer. Once again we used the EXACT same wiring kit. I paid to have mine done because I didn't realize how easy it was. I know how to set gains correctly, and I just can't draw enough power to hit 36.06V. His alternator is actually 20A stronger than mine, he has newer, better electrical. So why can't I hit voltage in his car using the same equipment I use in mine? (All of my parts work, I bang em daily)
When you say you determined the clipping point was 25/35.. Did you actually sit in the car listening to the 1k tone at full blast until it distorted? That must've been painful if you did. 25/35 seems a bit low for an aftermarket headunit. What headunit were you running on your Blazer? Also, you didn't say what amp it is. There's a possibility that it cannot do the full 650w clean that you're asking for. When you hit your target voltage on your blazer, approximately where was the gain set at? BTW Trunk cars tend to be quieter than SUV/hatchbacks because most of the bass gets trapped inside the trunk. Think about facing the sub closer to the trunk wall so it can reflect back into the cabin better. Was it a direct swap of equipment? Same sub, box, amp, wiring.. Different headunits will give different results so it could be possible that kenwood HU is a weak link. Another option is your friend could invest in a custom made ported box for the sub to get better results with less power.

When you say you determined the clipping point was 25/35.. Did you actually sit in the car listening to the 1k tone at full blast until it distorted? That must've been painful if you did. 25/35 seems a bit low for an aftermarket headunit. What headunit were you running on your Blazer? Also, you didn't say what amp it is. There's a possibility that it cannot do the full 650w clean that you're asking for. When you hit your target voltage on your blazer, approximately where was the gain set at? BTW Trunk cars tend to be quieter than SUV/hatchbacks because most of the bass gets trapped inside the trunk. Think about facing the sub closer to the trunk wall so it can reflect back into the cabin better. Was it a direct swap of equipment? Same sub, box, amp, wiring.. Different headunits will give different results so it could be possible that kenwood HU is a weak link. Another option is your friend could invest in a custom made ported box for the sub to get better results with less power.
Haha yes, I did, and yes, it was painful. But it's quite easy to hear when the distortion hits, at 26/35. So 25 is safe. Mine clips at 51/65. But his is a much higher price higher quality higher output EVERYTHING across the board. If I can hit 36.06V in my car, I should be able to do it in his car using the EXACT same equipment. Gain is slightly past halfway in my car. Yes same woofers box amp wiring all of it. I just put my equipment in his trunk. Why is his car not giving enough power?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.