Can you port a trunk?

ridered36
10+ year member

Dont bufu rabid squirrels
Well i was talking to my uncle awhile ago, and he said that you can cut holes in the rear deck of the car, the part like where the 6x9's are and run some kind of pvc pipe for a port so that it carries air inside of the car. Does this really help at all, and is it worth cutting it up? If i do this, my box freq. is 32hz, so will i want the deck ports to carry 32hz also? When i figure the cubic feet of the trunk i would need to subtract my box volume, correct?

Let me know if anyone else has heard of doing something like this, i personally never have.

Originally posted by dbhittin So your saying, a sealed off trunk, with a sub just chilling in the back, like its a big box?
Yea, and by cutting the holes in the deck and running the correct length of pvc so it acts as like a ported area, instead of sealed. And we all now ported is louder then sealed.

What do u think?

Well, to put and end to this post, Loyd said i wont get any noticable DB gains, so im not gonna sacrifice cutting up the deck for no gains.

Are you mounting the sub in the rear deck to? It wasn't to clear from your post, on the otherhand I tend to be a little brain dead this time of the day. If you are mounting the subs on the deck that setup is an infinite baffel and you need to have subs with a tight suspention to work like that. I seriously doubt porting will give you any extra at all with an ib.

It may not help very much but I can tell you that it allows more air to enter the cabin area. I have an Oldsmobile with a large trunk and right now I dont have any rear deck speakers in my car. When my subs are hitting, the insualtion between the cardboard deck cover thingy and the metal deck, moves ALOT with the air moving through the holes. I'm not to sure about the effectiveness of it cuz I dont have anything to put in the speaker holes to keep the air from moving but they do definitely let air move into and out of the cabin.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by 80_Cutlass_mn It may not help very much but I can tell you that it allows more air to enter the cabin area. I have an Oldsmobile with a large trunk and right now I dont have any rear deck speakers in my car. When my subs are hitting, the insualtion between the cardboard deck cover thingy and the metal deck, moves ALOT with the air moving through the holes. I'm not to sure about the effectiveness of it cuz I dont have anything to put in the speaker holes to keep the air from moving but they do definitely let air move into and out of the cabin.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
soundwaves are carried by air... so... technically, it would mean more sound would enter the cabin... not a bad thing if you ask me...

Like this, one of my fellow Q45ers, he built the box and faced the port into the cabin. We have this sort of second glove box behind the back seats

The box, you can see the metal looking port shooting upward into the "glovebox"

109310_10_full.jpg

This is where the port ends and the sounds come from

109310_9_full.jpg

Originally posted by Woodmister Like this, one of my fellow Q45ers, he built the box and faced the port into the cabin. We have this sort of second glove box behind the back seats

109310_10_full.jpg

109310_9_full.jpg
bandpass??

still....

sweet~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Woodmister Like this, one of my fellow Q45ers, he built the box and faced the port into the cabin. We have this sort of second glove box behind the back seats

109310_10_full.jpg

109310_9_full.jpg
Yes that is pretty darn sweet rite there, alltough I hope that bandpass box is built specifically for those subs. But I still think it would be more effective if the box was ported instead of bandpass.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.