Can you Help Identify these Speakers Please?

Zaytser
10+ year member

Canada
Hey guys, I haven't posted a lot here, but I have been reading through the forum for the past year and a bit, and now I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I bought some surplus speakers from Princess Auto, and they have Sony stamped on the back, but these speakers are ten time the "quality" that you usually see from their car audio line of Xplod crap.

I thought I would see what they would sound like since they were only 7 bucks a piece. One of the models is a 61/2" with a purple paper cone that is quite stiff compared to those crappy Sony speakers you see in stores. The other model is a 7" speaker/Woofer. It is unique in that it has a "Washer" type magnet stamped to the back of the back plate. it has a paper cone witch also seems to be of very good quality, unlike the paper cones on most well none brand name speakers.

So do you guys think that these speakers came from some home theatre towers our a protable ghetto blaster? Like I said I got them from Princess auto for like 7 bucks a piece. I figured I would use a few for some home theatre speaker project and maybe even my truck as well. I alread hooked a couple of 61/2" in my doors to my Alpine deck in my truck and they are quite good, and could be a lot better with some tweeking, but they also may need an enclosure as I am pretty sure they must be used in home theatre stereos from back in the day.

So if any of you could please help me out identifying them or who to talk to or if Sony even manufactures there own speakers I would really appreciate it. I have not parameter for these speakers so I would basically have to experiment with them in order to get optimal performance from them. Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Zaytser.

What is the process for posting pics. I know how to post a pic using urls from other websites but I haven't ever posted a pic from my picture folder? Holla back and I will get some posted asap.

Zaytser.

Ok hopefully these images work. The 6 1/2" and the 7 1/2". They both have paper cones except the 6 1/2' has a thicker stiffer cone with a bowl shaped dust cap where as the 7 1/2" has a thinner paper cone with a boob dust cap.

theres this great invention called the wall socket..thatd be a great place to put those SONY's...i hate SONY btw...

the model number should be on the bottom so you can find the specs from SONY and figure out what to do with them

There is a code stamped on the back, and I am pretty sure that they are a lot better quality than what you get in you local car audio store, ie. Sony Explodes. I also believe that they were from a home theatre set up. I have been to Sony.com and there isn't anything on that website that has any info about these.

Oh yah and I am being serious here, so for anyone that tells me to hook them up to a wall socket please don't waste my time.

Peace.

dont get ur panties in a twist man..i just dont like SONY...

Was the place you got them from just selling alot of extra stuff? Like did they come outta a car or did they tell you anything about them? They look like something from a sony mini system...I have an AIWA NSX-TR99 that has 3 5 1/4" woofers that are the same as those purple 6 1/2" but they are red and diff size..reason i bring that up is cuz SONY bought AIWA over about 1 1/2 ago..

ok well the 6 1/2" purple cone one looks like the 5"woofers used in SONYS mini systems..so hence they might have come outta a SONY mini system...dunno about the 7 1/2" yet..i'll keep looking..

mhcrg333.jpg
those woofers are what im talking about..SONY has used them for awhile now so prolly came outta one of the lil mini systems..

You could be right. These things were a dime a dozen at Princess Auto. They were just surplus speakers, but How can you go wrong with these when they are so inexpensive. I honestly do not believe that a speaker needs to cost upwards of 500 bucks as long as the proper install is excuted.

Perhaps sony has some other company like Delco build there speakers. What I really need to know is the parameters, and whether they need an enclosure rather than just putting them in the factory door location. I have already done that with the purple ones, but I need a lot dampening, an amp to properly distribute the right amount of power and the right crossover. My Alpine Deck crossover just don't cut it. I have a long ways to go before I ever get these to sound right. I may just have to use them for home theatre.

The one thing that seems really weird to me is the magnet that is attached to the backplate. What would be the purpose of that i wonder?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.