can i fit a 12" sub in a box only 12" wide??? i need a cut out of 11 1/8"

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeff22
10+ year member

pa
ok i'm kinda limited on space in my extended cab truck. i'm tall and i want my sub behind the driver side seat. the way i want my box designed is so that it sits sideways and fires into the center of the extended cab portion.

basically what i want to know is can i put a 12" that requires an 11 1/8" cutout in a box that is only 12" wide and 12" high. i'm going to make it 14" long which will get me 1.18 cubic feet. i don't know if this will work though because isn't a 12" sub 12inches in diameter?? so i wouldn't be able to screw the sub down right??

what about if i make it 12.5" wide and 12.5" high then make it shorter. would that work better?? i think i could spare the extra .5" in width and height if i can't make it 12x12

Keep in mind that you have to figure in displacement of the woofer and if those are external dimensions (which I assume they are), then you should also figure in displacement of the wood itself. Otherwise, you might end up with a lot less space than you thought, which can produce bad sound, or worse, damage the woofer.

yeah i just thought about that when i put those dimensions in the calculator i forgot to figure in the 3/4" mdf so it will need to be larger than i thought. i think i'm going to shoot for a 1.2cubic foot box before displacement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.