Can I “tone back” an amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
i think the whole method came about to keep noobs from using the gain as a volume knob.
Thinking the gain is set perfectly because it was set with a o-scope or smd toy (whatever that’s called). Less likely someone will adjust their gain if they are told it was set with a scope = Less fd up equipment.
Just for the record I’ve had 500 watt and less rms rated subs on my current amp In my work truck. All I needed was a screw driver. Lots of people use amplifiers that are rated much higher than their drivers. It’s a good idea too. Amp doesn’t have to work that hard never getting close to clipping with a good source signal.
To each their own. No right or wrong just trust my judgement and set up with music (which is what I listen to).
Drank that kook aid before just to see. Kinda a waste of time to me anyway.
Anyway you can tone down an amp. Your old amp overheating is a sign that your gain might of been set too high also.

i think the whole method came about to keep noobs from using the gain as a volume knob.
Thinking the gain is set perfectly because it was set with a o-scope or smd toy (whatever that’s called). Less likely someone will adjust their gain if they are told it was set with a scope = Less fd up equipment.
Just for the record I’ve had 500 watt and less rms rated subs on my current amp In my work truck. All I needed was a screw driver. Lots of people use amplifiers that are rated much higher than their drivers. It’s a good idea too. Amp doesn’t have to work that hard never getting close to clipping with a good source signal.
To each their own. No right or wrong just trust my judgement and set up with music (which is what I listen to).
Drank that kook aid before just to see. Kinda a waste of time to me anyway.
Anyway you can tone down an amp. Your old amp overheating is a sign that your gain might of been set too high also.
many guys will do it like you. but I have particularly bad ears for distortion. and would end up being so cautious setting by ear that I would leave output on thye table. this is my 4th system. so maybe I will get there some day. but my systems get louder. and rattling of the car makes it hard to hear distortion. you have a lot of experience but somebody with their first or second system is either going to leave performance on the table or blow their subs the majority of the time. I blew my first ported 12 that way lol. maybe my hearing is just crap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.