Can anyone help me build a box for 2 subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

brafferty

CarAudio.com Elite
idaho
Ive tried using the calculators online, but there is so many variables that come into play that idk how to go about it. I measured my current box and the area i want to use (This is a single sub facing back with the port back) and i want to do has subs up port back set up, so im not sure if that would change any of the measurements. but the height is 13 inches, the width is 42 inches, and the depth is 21 inches. I know i want to tune this box to 30 hz for nice quality. So basically i have 2 alpine SWR_12d4 that will be pushing 650 rms to each sub. If any other info is needed i can provide, i just am not good at building boxes

Ive tried using the calculators online, but there is so many variables that come into play that idk how to go about it. I measured my current box and the area i want to use (This is a single sub facing back with the port back) and i want to do has subs up port back set up, so im not sure if that would change any of the measurements. but the height is 13 inches, the width is 42 inches, and the depth is 21 inches. I know i want to tune this box to 30 hz for nice quality. So basically i have 2 alpine SWR_12d4 that will be pushing 650 rms to each sub. If any other info is needed i can provide, i just am not good at building boxes
If you are building your own boxes then try to see if any of these free designs fit your measurement and tuning needs *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

sub up port back is recommended for hatchback or suvs. Trunks do better with port and subs both facing rear.

Also for future builds, download winisd, torres box calculator and watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKlY5FQMOA

I just got finished building a box for those subs box info is under this thread "Custom dual alpine r enclosure" if you tune the port to 30hz your f3 is 26hz(port would need to be 38" long) the fs of the alpine is 29hz. That setup would not be efficient.

I just got finished building a box for those subs box info is under this thread "Custom dual alpine r enclosure" if you tune the port to 30hz your f3 is 26hz(port would need to be 38" long) the fs of the alpine is 29hz. That setup would not be efficient.
SO what would be effecient? If it matters the car is an 03 outback, ill go check oput what you guys sent but in the mean time can you tell me what would work best? i found a great deal on these subs but ive never built a box

A port tuned to 32hz yields a f3 of 26hz(if your internal volume is 4ft^3) If you set your amps sub sonic filter to 30hz the 4hz difference is not being used. The box can utilize that 4hz difference on the other side of the f3 for a higher output. Te box I designed has the port tuned to 35hz and that makes the f3 29hz and hes going to set his SSF to 30hz so the amp,box and sub are all working together.

so do you need my amp info as well?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

if so its the Soundstream tarantula Ta1.2000D, has a subsonic filter of 15-50hz it appears

im so lost, what f3? ive learned quite a bit in the last year in car audio ( im 17) but boxes are just really expensive and id rather pay less for better, assuming i can make a good one

im so lost, what f3? ive learned quite a bit in the last year in car audio ( im 17) but boxes are just really expensive and id rather pay less for better, assuming i can make a good one
It's the frequency where the sub starts to decrease by -3db and fade away.. How much is your budget for a box? If you're budget is low, I would look into trying to design a box yourself on paper.. or find free box plans online.. and then have someone local build it for you for cheap. Otherwise, just save up for someone to make you a good custom box. It is totally worth it.

My budget is basically how ever much i truely need, but i do really want to build this myslef (me and my dad that is, he had a construction company so that should help)... ive so far done everything in my car ive needed to, from maintenence to the sound system, and ive drawn up designs, but thats all they are are designs, no math or anything taken into acount because i dont know how to just yet... and do you recommend subs up port back for this style? i keep reading about it and it seems like a non stop debate (which is better subs up port back, or port back subs back)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to "build" it yourself have someone make a design and cut sheet for you, pay for that and just folio the intrusions. it'll be like building a big square lego.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.