Can An amp cause ground loops?

DJ B
10+ year member

I've tried everything to get rid of my ground loop.

Switched out rca's for utp rca's

Moved ground from rear deck to near seatbelt bolt (sanded to metal)

Ran Ground from head unit to same location as amp

grounded amp chasis to hu chassis

nothing worked....

so my question is i bought my memphis amp used, and the rca inputs are kind of loose (they dont "catch" when they're plugged in) and i was wondering if that would cause a ground loop? i have a pioneer 6500 hu if that matters....it sounds like i can hear the cd spinnng and the lazer moving through the sub, and i get output from the sub out no matter if the channel is on or off.

i NEED this project to be finished so i can move on to my next one. plz help

Is your RCAs and remote ran with your power wire or are RCAs and REMOTE ran on the seperate side like they are supposed to be? Thats probably the cause if thats the case. If not, goto radio shack and buy a ground loop isolater.

Is your RCAs and remote ran with your power wire or are RCAs and REMOTE ran on the seperate side like they are supposed to be?

HU ground, power, and remote wire are all on the driver side and rca's are on passenger side. they cross at 90degrees under the rear bench.

goto radio shack and buy a ground loop isolater.
got the one from walmart and it didnt do sh!t

why is your head unit ground ran with the power wire? It should be behind the deck somewhere. Thats probably your problem...

why is your head unit ground ran with the power wire? It should be behind the deck somewhere. Thats probably your problem...

When the problem originated, the ground was connected in the wire harness. Then someone mentioned trying to ground it where the amps were grounded. so i did that. no luck. then i left the wire ran the same way and used it to ground the amp chassis to the hu chassis. and thats what it's doing right now. so thats not the problem

and my acutal question was can i just have a bad amp? cuz its definitetly something with the rca connections, since when i disconnect either end, the noise is gone. and my amp inputs seem "Loose"

how could i check to fix this? i actually put an amp for the front speakers in too, but it gave me actual alternator whine. and that's with the ground by the seat belt sanded 2 metal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.