Can a Mmats 3500.05 be ran at .3ohms(.4DCR) daily?

Yea doesnt look like it but anytime to wire below .5 ur taking a risk ...im sure every setup will be.differemt
Yep, the thing that gets me is that if its meant to run at .5.. maybe .4 isn't so bad?... its odd that the amp is rated at .5 ohms lol

I don't have the manual //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Someone has to know!

How good is your electrical? Also, no someone doesn't "have" to know. Even if it worked for someone in the past if their box had a different impedence profile, they may have just gotten lucky due to what they tended to play on it. If it' good for .5, .4 isn't too much of a stretch if your electrical is up to snuff and you could make sure it always saw proper voltage. However most amps are going to be ungodly ineffecient down there and draw a lot of current. If you have the electrical to back it up best you can do is try. Take it easy on the gain, see if it goes into protect. Then start turning it up and look for excessive overheating, low voltage or see if it goes into protect... I know that's not the answer you want, but really it's probably the best anyone is going to be able to give who isn't trying to sell you something. If you have the electrical, it's probably ok, but take it slow and make sure.

I don't have the manual //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Someone has to know!
CAlling them you probably won't get any help. Most companies will not advise you on anything outside of their posted limits.

How good is your electrical? Also, no someone doesn't "have" to know. Even if it worked for someone in the past if their box had a different impedence profile, they may have just gotten lucky due to what they tended to play on it. If it' good for .5, .4 isn't too much of a stretch if your electrical is up to snuff and you could make sure it always saw proper voltage. However most amps are going to be ungodly ineffecient down there and draw a lot of current. If you have the electrical to back it up best you can do is try. Take it easy on the gain, see if it goes into protect. Then start turning it up and look for excessive overheating, low voltage or see if it goes into protect... I know that's not the answer you want, but really it's probably the best anyone is going to be able to give who isn't trying to sell you something. If you have the electrical, it's probably ok, but take it slow and make sure.
Thanks.. as far as amps being very inefficient at .5ohms, is that the case with this amp?... seeing as its rated to run at .5ohms?

Thanks.. as far as amps being very inefficient at .5ohms, is that the case with this amp?... seeing as its rated to run at .5ohms?
Yes, that's the case with any amp. When amps rate their efficiency on a spec sheet, it's always at a 4ohm load, sometimes they even state this. They do that because at higher impedances the amp puts out less power, but draws less current proportionally to do so vs a lower ohm load. Most Korean amps are 75-80% effecient at a 4ohm load, by the time you get down to .5ohms they are 50-60% effecient, so your not only pulling extra current due to extra wattage, but even more on top of that, due to the lack of effeciency. Just something to always remember when you drop an amp load, even if your draw as fine at 1ohm, dropping to .5 would put more strain than you might imagine on your electrical. Given your only other option is 1.2ohms, I'd at least try it. If not your looking at 1500ish watts out of your amp.

Hmm thanks for the input guys. It seems my best bet would be to try and get the same power at 1.2 ohms.

I wonder what efficiency im looking at with this amp at .4 as opposed to an aq3500 or an RD d9 at 1.2ohms.

I heard that mmats are very efficient. But as you pointed out, the low ohms will be harder to supply the power to.

No, this amp was built to be ran at .5. It is nearly 80% efficient at that ohm load, because that's what it was built for. Just like they have a 1ohm version of it that is built to be ran at no lower than 1ohm. And a 2ohm version of it that is built to be ran no lower than 2ohms. They are phenomenal amps with unrivaled efficiency, build quality, and footprint. But there's no way in hell I'd risk running them below what they were meant for.

If you really want to know, the only way is to call Mmats. They obviously won't recommend it, but they can let you know if it can survive that with proper electrical.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.