Calling all Yukon and escalade owners

From the sounds of it, he isn't trying to go King Kong Commando with his Yukon; he want's some depth; a little bit of rolling thunder.

Not a **** Earthquake; stop having boners for the substage.

@kscowboy

Some questions that need to be answered by OP are

How much space do you want to have left[better yet any idea how much cubic feet are you willing to give up just on enclosure]? Do you want to keep extra batteries out of your hull? Two 10s will without a doubt give you enough thunder for driving. Budget? Hell, two 8s will leave you room for packing the dogs around, and will give you enough bump for daily driving; assuming you aren't a basshead, even if you are there are beefy 8s.:yumyum:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for a great answer and question. Yes I would like to keep as much room as possible but I also realize I will have to lose some room because of the enclosure. Like I said I don't need 4 18's. not looking for that. But 2 10's or 2 12's would probably take up the same amount of room. And how about a couple more recommendations for the factory door speakers? Thanks for the help. And extra batteries doesn't bother me if they are a must.

[quote name='Montana']From the sounds of it, he isn't trying to go King Kong Commando with his Yukon; he want's some depth; a little bit of rolling thunder.

Not a **** Earthquake; stop having boners for the substage.

@kscowboy

Some questions that need to be answered by OP are

How much space do you want to have left[better yet any idea how much cubic feet are you willing to give up just on enclosure]? Do you want to keep extra batteries out of your hull? Two 10s will without a doubt give you enough thunder for driving. Budget? Hell, two 8s will leave you room for packing the dogs around, and will give you enough bump for daily driving; assuming you aren't a basshead, even if you are there are beefy 8s.:yumyum:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the help. Basically wanting better quality so I'm thinking that the factory speakers need to go and be replaced with better component speakers. Thanks

Basically, how great the sound-quality of the system is, depends on how in-depth you want to go in the build, and how much money you have to spend.
A minimal SQ system in a truck that big would consist of something like 2 sealed 12's on ~6-800, a decent quality processor, 6.5" Component speakers in the front door with properly imaged tweeters, some sort of rear fill, and your 4 channel would only need to be around 50-70x4.

To get louder, or sound better, or both, more money will need to be spent, or more will need to be put into the install.

And if the factory front stage is good enough for you, no need to change it.

I have heard pairs of 12" in properly ported boxes, with adequate power, sound absolutely good in Tahoes/Yukons/etc. Be sure to get a decent four channel, headunit, good front comps and honestly you may be happy just by that if you do it right. Later on add the subs. Unless you have a baddaas factory speaker setup, don't be the guy that has a good substage that blares over all the rest of the soundstage, that kills me.

Thats exactly what i hate as well. Thats why i originally asked about pure quality sound upgrades. I want quality sound all around with the added bass to make it a total package instead of just putting in 4 18's and hearing nothing but bass. Thanks

I got a 10" Tannoy sub in my house and my whole neighborhood hates me. Why would someone put 4 18" in a vehicle is totally beyond me. Obviously i'm not an spl guy.

Thats exactly what i hate as well. Thats why i originally asked about pure quality sound upgrades. I want quality sound all around with the added bass to make it a total package instead of just putting in 4 18's and hearing nothing but bass. Thanks
Well from the looks of it youre leaning more towards sq than spl, the problem is for us to help you out we need to know a bit more information.

1. How much are you willing to spend total

2. Are you against buying used

3. Do you have the ability to build your own box, what if it is a simple sealed vs ported?

4.how much do you know about car audio and are you knowledgeable enough to do the install yourself.

Thank you for a great answer and question. Yes I would like to keep as much room as possible but I also realize I will have to lose some room because of the enclosure. Like I said I don't need 4 18's. not looking for that. But 2 10's or 2 12's would probably take up the same amount of room. And how about a couple more recommendations for the factory door speakers? Thanks for the help. And extra batteries doesn't bother me if they are a must.
Lol, sorry man I was just making fun.

Anyways.. If I were you...

I would do alot of research on speakers. NO one can tell you whats good pretty much you are kinda on your own.

The only thing is, your truck already has pre-amped speakers (****** lil bose amp)

So you are either gonna have to run your new speakers with harnesses off the ****** amp and not notice much of an upgrade (easy way, 5 min install each speaker)

Or you are gonna have to amp them yourselves (buy and install amp, run speaker wire to the doors) which is a WAY better night and day difference, but it takes some work

For your setup, no extra batteries will be unnecessary. Although, in your truck, there is a factory spot under the hood FOR a 2nd battery and they sell kits to wire them up. I would do that for sure, if I were you because you never know when having an extra battery can come in handy.

Anyways, for subs, I would probably go with a single 12 or 15 to be honest. You will save room, and you can get a beast enough 12 or 15 that you will more than adequately produce SQ bass in the shared airspace cabin.

it depends if his truck has the bose system or not, if it does though have the bose system I hate to say it but youre kinda screwed, For a first time instal dealing with bypassing that is kind of a pain in the *** enless you do everything at once. pretty sure that stock bose amp is under your center console though if you ever go to remove it

it depends if his truck has the bose system or not, if it does though have the bose system I hate to say it but youre kinda screwed, For a first time instal dealing with bypassing that is kind of a pain in the *** enless you do everything at once. pretty sure that stock bose amp is under your center console though if you ever go to remove it
Pretty sure all denalis do

Well yes I have the ability to build my own box but at this point in time I just don't have enough free time to do that. So basically I want someone else to do it all. And money is no option but I am not stupid with my money and won't spend 10g's on this. So basically a recommendation on brands and sizes is best. I prefer quality over quantity. And thank you so much for the help.

Well from the looks of it youre leaning more towards sq than spl, the problem is for us to help you out we need to know a bit more information.1. How much are you willing to spend total

2. Are you against buying used

3. Do you have the ability to build your own box, what if it is a simple sealed vs ported?

4.how much do you know about car audio and are you knowledgeable enough to do the install yourself.

Well yes I have the ability to build my own box but at this point in time I just don't have enough free time to do that. So basically I want someone else to do it all. And money is no option but I am not stupid with my money and won't spend 10g's on this. So basically a recommendation on brands and sizes is best. I prefer quality over quantity. And thank you so much for the help.
Well if you dont plan on doing the install yourself than the most important thing you need to do is find a good quality installer near you.

Go check out reviews online of shops, and maybe check over on diyma and maybe on here for personal guys that do install work. Install is everything when it comes to sound quality. Dealing with the 2012 and a bose system might be a nightmare so you might end up having to keep your factory head unit but the installer you go to should know all about that, as far as brands and what sizes I would reccomend going with 6.5 inch componenets up front with custom made tweeter pods that are aimed properly, go with a nice sound proccessor. Find yourself a good sq sub, check out morel, hertz, scanspeak, older IDmax. You are also going to need to buy some sound deadener. What ever you do dont go off to the local car audio shop and hand over your money without doing your research

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

kscowboy

10+ year member
kscowboy
Aubrey, Tx
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from