calling all audio expert --- help on sub !!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

randomwalk101
10+ year member

I have a sub mod (RMB8) with an aftermarket amp and using stock HU (2002 Acura TL). The problem is the stock head unit doesn't have the BASS control for the sub only. Some musics, the bass is too much. I want to tone the RMB8 down with certain musics and bring it back up with certain ones. If I use the bass control on the stock HU, it will bring down ALL bass (ei., all the bass in the door's speakers). Is there any simple device I can get installed to control only the REAR SUB? I'm thinking something that can attach to that aftermarket amp and control only that amp or that RMB8 that is being powered by that amp and leave the door speakers alone?? This device can have a remote or even a wire/knob that I can run to the front and velcro'ed somewhere that I can turn up or down the rear bass.... BTW, I don' t want to add another aftermarket EQ cuz then i have to add another amp etc..too much money. Just want a simple sub control mod (if possible).

Thanks for the help guys. BTW, the amp I am using to power that RMB8 is Alpine V12 2 chanels 340watts bridged. Not sure the model...i think it's something like MRV-T340 ??

Originally posted by Jmac They don't make remote gains for that model. I think Alpine only made them for the T757 and the T1507 that year.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Hic..hic...Wahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is always the option of a EQ... I had to get one because the subs in my car on certain songs drowned the speakers in the car. Now I can turn the subs up, down, on and off as I please. It helps when certain songs have more bass then my speakers can handle. Until I some good mids and highs, I let the subs handle the bass. Bass on dash is a -7.

yeah, but I'm using the stock HU w/ stock amp (built in HU)..if I hook up a EQ, I would need to by pass stock EQ and need an aftermarket amp. Too much $$$ for me at this time on top of the cost of an EQ. I thought there might be a "universal" device that would control the bass only (remote gain control)...If you think about it, EQ is basically like a "remote gain control" but not just for sub, but also for high, mids etc... Think of it like a complicated gain control. I'm looking for sort of a "simple gain control" if u will //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Okay, you can add another EQ and control it...but then you will need to add an aftermarket amp and by pass the stock amp, stock EQ etc... too much trouble...

Now, you can get a cheap EQ (there are some for like $30 from Crutchfield or Etronics...CHEAP ones). Use the RCA (input) from the stock sub that is currently feeding the amp (aftermarket) that is powering the sub rignt now, hook that RCA to your newly added EQ (input). The sub OUTPUT from that EQ, run that and use that as INPUT to your amp that is powering the sub....all other output from the EQ is ignored. So now you can use the SUB control button on the EQ to boost up or tone down the rear sub ONLY...which is what you want.

Analysis:

1) Yes, input to the EQ from stock sub line is (pre-amp), low pass, thus u will not get a full range at output..but you dont' need full range...you only use the output for sub only thus it is okay.

2) Since you have not touch the mid/high etc output/input from the stock HU to speakers, they should function as normal.

3) This serves as an EQ but only controlling the sub. All other knobs on the EQ is not use (just for dummy since their output are not used).

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? WILL THIS WORK? (not tested...just idea)

I've also seen cross-over with remote gain..you can run the RCA input from stock sub feed line to cross-over and then to amp that is powering the RMB8 and use the remote gain from the cross-over to control the sub..but this cross over is expensive $150 and up....The EQ is probably better and will fit nicely in that storage slot above the stock HU (Acura TL, non navi cars).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.