Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Kastlez_
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Vehicle: 2004 Honda Accord Sedan

Setup: 2K-4K // (2) 12" Subs to be decided later

Tuning low around 33hz... I know the trunk will help low notes develope but I don't want to suffocate them by stuffing a huge box back there

Should I fire subs and port into the cabin

or

Subs back/port back?

Summary:

33hz tuning trunk build. Fire forward into cabin or rear towards trunk?

NOTE:

I only have about 1" clearance on all sides of the box BUT....

Measuring by ear my setups tend to sound a lot louder firing towards the trunk vs. directly into the cabin (not sealed off though)

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on how much room you have around the box for sound to pass. Like if your box covers the entire trunk pass through firing into the cabin is prob better.

I switch mine around and it deff sounded louder port/sub back, the meter may say otherwise though. New setup will be sub back port driverside as I hear that meters good

depends on how much room you have around the box for sound to pass. Like if your box covers the entire trunk pass through firing into the cabin is prob better.
I switch mine around and it deff sounded louder port/sub back, the meter may say otherwise though. New setup will be sub back port driverside as I hear that meters good
I only have about 1" clearance on all sides of the box BUT....

Measuring by ear my setups tend to sound a lot louder firing towards the trunk vs. directly into the cabin (not sealed off though)

This.

I have tried and tested every sub/port orientation in my trunk and anything bigger than a 10 is sub up/ port driver's side. I have a TL so I know. The trunk that won 1st at world finals and set a new world record in 0-1k was subs and port up. 155's on a pair of D5's (Grand Am). The trunk that won and set a new world record in trunk 1k+ was subs and port forward and it wasn't even sealed from the trunk ('98 Civic). He actually loses when he seals it.

If you only have 1" clearance for the pressure to get around the box... it's a no brainer.

This.
I have tried and tested every sub/port orientation in my trunk and anything bigger than a 10 is sub up/ port driver's side. I have a TL so I know. The trunk that won 1st at world finals and set a new world record in 0-1k was subs and port up. 155's on a pair of D5's (Grand Am). The trunk that won and set a new world record in trunk 1k+ was subs and port forward and it wasn't even sealed from the trunk ('98 Civic). He actually loses when he seals it.

If you only have 1" clearance for the pressure to get around the box... it's a no brainer.
This is more of a "ground pounder" so to speak since I wont be competing

I want to be loud & sound good to ear for the most part

I'm a little confused about this last statement. Are you saying since I don't have the clearance that facing it towards the cabin is the best choice?

Sub back/port driver side has been the standard for all my setups even with the 1" clearance it seems to perform well

what is the rear deck going to look like? are you going to have mids installed there? is there an open area in the center? i'm not sure if it's an option, but with that little clearance, i would shoot for the subs firing up with center kerf port, deck opened (mids removed/relocated) i have also seen deck openings in the middle of the sheetmetal. one thing you might do is make your own deck cover and remove the stock one, so you can have it open, yet re-install the stock one if/when you change or remove the system....

what is the rear deck going to look like? are you going to have mids installed there? is there an open area in the center? i'm not sure if it's an option, but with that little clearance, i would shoot for the subs firing up with center kerf port, deck opened (mids removed/relocated) i have also seen deck openings in the middle of the sheetmetal. one thing you might do is make your own deck cover and remove the stock one, so you can have it open, yet re-install the stock one if/when you change or remove the system....
I've always wanted to fire up through the rear deck but I can't afford to chop up my vehicle like that =/

I'd do aeroports through the rear 6x9's but I dont think there's enough clearance to fit fully assembled 6" ports

I've even tried firing through the rear center arm rest with a 4th order but I hated how that performed.

well, you want the ports and drivers firing in the same airspace, unless you use the trunk as a band-pass, or the same as you have done before. that's why i was suggesting center-fire, so all 3 interact. i wasn't really suggesting butchering your deck, but using what is there. i know you have the 6x9 holes, which you can un-restrict by moving the covers, but if you take a look at the sheet-metal, there may be more holes in it that are covered. what i was suggesting is removing the factory press-board, so it's not chopped, and making a new cover that you can cut all the holes you want in and cover with fabric......that is, if there is holes in the sheet-metal.

this vid makes me want to do a trunk build in this config //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

[video=youtube;oVM-X1wKCkc]

I hear only those who tune higher would benefit from firing forward into the cabin.

Rear firing is suggested for lower tuning since the loading off the trunk will help the lower notes develop.

Atleast this is what I hear... any truth to it?

end thread quote here/

if u have alot of power and want numbers with some nice lows fire foward sealed off from trunk

if u lack power and want smashing lows and broken trunk latches fire in the rear toward trunk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...