CAB 1600.1... what do think happened?

Participant count
  • Participant list

shredder1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
AZ
One of my CAB amps is inoperative, I'm running 2 strapped at 2.66 ohm and my older amp... Bought in August 2016... is cutting out with a weird scratchy sound. If I slam the door of the car it cuts back on briefly the repeats the problem. It's still under warranty so I don't want to break the seal to see whats up. The amp appears to have the board shifted in the heatsink about 3/16" one way it had been like this for some time now and I had no problems... what do you think has caused this? I am not going to fix the amp myself... I'm just wondering what can be the possible cause?

View attachment 26556163

View attachment 26556163

^^That and I wonder what's behind the mounted amps. Empty space I hope because I can almost guarantee you the shifted board was from the bass. Your running quite a bit of power too.

Yes, it's on a amp rack mounted 1.25" off the box proper to allow to run all the wires underneath... the shift has apparently occurred against gravity and all connections are solid... was working great for 3 months then died... this is only loaded to 2.66 ohm strapped... maybe 2500 watts or so...

The amp is still under warranty and I will return it, I'm just curious what anyone thinks happened and how to avoid this in the future. Possible causes?

Def not gravity. I've seen multiples of amps mounted like so as well as other positions. I say something inside the amp may have already been lose. And it took this amount of time to finally loosen itself a little more.

Still don't like the idea of amps near the subs. Unless it's extremely braced well.

What do you mean by "braced really well"?.. the enclosure?.. can you be a little more specific? This box has 2 internal braces and 0 flex... visible and tactile as well...

1.5" baffle and 1.25" rear wall where the port is... I'm probably going to re-mount the amps with hard rubber bushings on the rack to isolate it further. Any other thoughts?

Ya talking about the area between the back of the sub enclosure and the amp rack....bracing.

I would tell you to do a simple test of take your vehicle someplace to blast it full tilt then rest your forehead on the amp. If it's bumping your head, no good. But too late I guess...

Well if it does hit me in the head I guess I deserve the lump... it is secured pretty well on 3/4 mdf... but I guess I'll try anything!

Well... almost

Yeah I get it... I'm waiting for an RMA # to return it as this happened this past Friday and no word yet... couldn't attach pics to send them on the initial email but if they want pics I'm ready to send them some for sure... I'll use the downtime to add a brace to the rack and isolate the amps with bushings now... I sure don't want this happening again with a new amp!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.