Bye circuit city!

Well I didn't intend it to mean what you took it as. Im not that big of an ******* to expect people that can do it themselves to pay me to do it. But the anger comes from people that install it in a way that reflects they have absolutely no experience, and also put themselves at risk to become barbeque to save a couple bucks when they drop all the money on equipment.

Really I was just venting and you got all upset.

I dont know if it really hurts the industry cause I just got paid asd recently as this evening to fix someones mistakes. But I just dont undertsand why people will spend all the money on equipment and then ruin it rather than have it installed and having some form of warranty on the work.

I didnt intend to target people who actually know how to hook it up good and be safe about it.

Well I didn't intend it to mean what you took it as. Im not that big of an ******* to expect people that can do it themselves to pay me to do it. But the anger comes from people that install it in a way that reflects they have absolutely no experience, and also put themselves at risk to become barbeque to save a couple bucks when they drop all the money on equipment.

I dont know if it really hurts the industry cause I just got paid asd recently as this evening to fix someones mistakes. But I just dont undertsand why people will spend all the money on equipment and then ruin it rather than have it installed and having some form of warranty on the work.

I didnt intend to target people who actually know how to hook it up good and be safe about it.
oh far from upset:laugh:

a fair discussion is always fair game.

I didnt intend to target people who actually know how to hook it up good and be it.

i can name one person like that on this site, GrandChreokee. He has hte AQ 18 and AQ 2200 and has no clue as to what he is doin. Im not trying to pick him out of the crwod. ppl try to help and he just doesn listen and still can get things right. Hes just gonna spend more money/time and would rather do thta instead of taking it to a shop to have oit properly installed.

There are things about the car audio industry many people don't know, or think about but they apply to almost every retail industry. 1) Territories: This is a huge factor, or used to be. If shop A carries Kicker then shop B which is only 1.5 miles away can not carry Kicker because of the protected territory shop A was guaranteed by Kicker. This continues up the chain. There is also a middleman between Kicker and shop A. The shop may call him "the local Kicker rep" but he is really just another salesman. His job is to sell Kicker audio to car audio shops. he has a protected territory as well. It may be the Midwest, or an entire state, or just a city or county. Guess what? He marks up the product in order to make a profit before the shop even receives it. The rep may also sell more than one brand. For example: Back in my day the local Sony rep was also the local Phoenix Gold rep. So if you walked into a specialty shop and seen a PG amp you were likely to see some Sony ES products on the sound board as well.

This was how the industry operated for years and everyone was happy. Except the consumers. Why? Because the consumers were paying out the nose for a CD player that only cost about $12 to manufacture in China.

Along came the big box stores and the whole industry (local retailers) were in an uproar. The big box stores upset the whole situation. They skipped the local rep and went straight to the manufacturer. And the greedy manufacturers saw the potential profits the big stores promised. They immediately screwed the local retailers and started selling to the big chain stores. To appease the local retailers and the snooty "audiophiles" they created brands like Mobile ES, Excelon, and Premier that were supposedly only available at specialty retailers and not the big box stores.

Upscale brands like Orion created lesser brands to sell to the chain stores. Remember The Hott Setup and the Hifonics Hawk amplifiers?? Some were successful and some were not. Some brands didn't sell to the big box stores but instead created lesser product lines at a lower price point so the specialty shops could compete on price. Remember the PPI Sedona series, the Rockford Series 1, and Phoenix Gold Sapphire?

This was the beginning of the downward spiral. Gone was the competition to make the best product. Now everyone wanted to make the most profitable, and yet lowest price product. The competition left the sound off lanes and went to the Sunday sale papers.

There were rumors that some of the larger local reps received some payoffs to compensate for the loss to the big box retailers but I can not confirm that.

Some brands held out, Only selling to smaller specialty shops until they went bankrupt and were devoured, masticated, and crapped out of Korea by DEI. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

The next step in this evolution is the internet. We've bypassed the local retailer, the local rep, and now the big box store. Some companies will fail, some will succeed. Now we have ED, Fi, Sundown, etc all of which are almost exclusively "internet brands"

Kicker still promises protected territories to it's retailers but at any one time you can find 500-1000 listings for Kicker products on ebay alone. Not to mention all the other "non-authorized" retailers selling Kicker on the internet. Do you really think Kicker doesn't know how those products are getting there? They know, but they're enjoying the profits too much to care. And I'm not picking on Kicker , I just pulled their name off the top of my head. There are plenty of other companies doing the same thing

And don't forget Crutchfield. That's a whole 'nother story.

So pretty much its profit, but still I dont understand why would they do this, but then get mad when people buy off the internet for better made products for the same price as the crappy ones they sold. I mean to stop business from leaving wouldnt you BETTER your business? I mean to me its like politics, keep going with the old until it screws you over, but somebody needs to make a change....hence the internet. Like I said if they dont want it to screw them over(retail/ big chains) They should get familier with the products and the best ones. I mean D*mn does honesty count for anything anymore?

Because there is a chance they may get it right. I always attempt to perform mechanic work on my own before taking it to a shop. Sometimes I am able to fix it myself, sometimes it costs me more. But I am always going to try first.

So pretty much its profit, but still I dont understand why would they do this, but then get mad when people buy off the internet for better made products for the same price as the crappy ones they sold. I mean to stop business from leaving wouldnt you BETTER your business? I mean to me its like politics, keep going with the old until it screws you over, but somebody needs to make a change....hence the internet. Like I said if they dont want it to screw them over(retail/ big chains) They should get familier with the products and the best ones. I mean D*mn does honesty count for anything anymore?
Yeah, but it is easier for them to sit around and do nothing while at the same time b1tching about the internet killing their business than it is to come up with a new business model or strategy. It is obvious that their "old way" is not working, so it is time to do something new, yet they would rather be driven into the ground following the business model that does not work.... Pretty pathetic....

If buying online only meant you were saving a few bucks, that's one thing. But saving 500-1000$ on a single item kinda FORCES you to make the smarter buy. The warranty doesn't matter, when you can find it online for 1/4th of the price. If the item screws up, you can buy it 3 more times before the warranty became a better option.

Dunno why I rambled so long, sorrys lol.

Truth!

And yah, I wish at least the owner, or the salesman would keep up with the internet. I'm sick of being insulted by them.

awesome!
Ever PM 6Spdcoupe? He runs a real B&M and does internet work on the side. I think that is a very appropriate business model in the current climate.

Yeah, but it is easier for them to sit around and do nothing while at the same time b1tching about the internet killing their business than it is to come up with a new business model or strategy.QUOTE]
If you're referring to me. Im just an installer. I dont own the business I work for or things would be a lot different... I realize the opportunity in the internet. If I owned a B/M it would be half warehouse for my internet business and half alarm/rem start installs 24/7. Maybe also devoted to strictly box building for local and internet customers.. HUGE market for that here.

and Im not a part of the group you're talking about... If im not installing and I get put into a sales situation... I dont lie to people to make sales. I've oftentimes showed people where to find **** on the internet if I cant get it for them or I dont have what they are looking for.

I personally liked CC. I shopped there over Best Buy and never had any issues.

Regardless of how i feel, it ***** that thousands of Americans are losing their jobs.

Yeah, but it is easier for them to sit around and do nothing while at the same time b1tching about the internet killing their business than it is to come up with a new business model or strategy.
If you're referring to me. Im just an installer. I dont own the business I work for or things would be a lot different... I realize the opportunity in the internet. If I owned a B/M it would be half warehouse for my internet business and half alarm/rem start installs 24/7. Maybe also devoted to strictly box building for local and internet customers.. HUGE market for that here.

and Im not a part of the group you're talking about... If im not installing and I get put into a sales situation... I dont lie to people to make sales. I've oftentimes showed people where to find **** on the internet if I cant get it for them or I dont have what they are looking for.
That was not a dig at you. Please allow me to explain. By day, I used to be a Certified Public Accountant who was a manager at a CPA firm, but this was LAST YEAR. Regardless, I can't tell you how many times I heard clients talk about how the internet was killing their retail business, yet they NEVER did anything to diversify or remain competitive. Every single time I recommended that they look into other ways to generate revenue, they would stare at me with a blank look on their face, as if they didn't know how while at the same time they were begging me to work with them to reduce their fees.....

Totally understandable. You have to evolve to survive. But it does kind of **** if you own a business for 20 years then all the sudden because of the internet your whole life get thrown out of order.

I dont know, I see both sides.

That was not a dig at you. Please allow me to explain. By day, I used to be a Certified Public Accountant who was a manager at a CPA firm, but this was LAST YEAR. Regardless, I can't tell you how many times I heard clients talk about how the internet was killing their retail business, yet they NEVER did anything to diversify or remain competitive. Every single time I recommended that they look into other ways to generate revenue, they would stare at me with a blank look on their face, as if they didn't know how while at the same time they were begging me to work with them to reduce their fees.....
Exactly, why stay with the old. Get into the forums like this, learn whats saleing and what is not. Its a few honest guy out there still, but they just dont seem to be in charge of the store. I love the internet, saves me $$$$, so Im cool. But I would love to go to a shop, talk audio all day, and have someone with the same unbiased opnions like myself. Meet or beat the internet plain and simple. Why use the same tools you alread have?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mjf

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
mjf
asdf
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date