Bye circuit city!

My LCD from CC was $300 cheaper for the exact same model at BB. And to get it from BB I had to wait 3 days. CC had it in stock. ALSO....with CC I got an additional $100 off if I upgraded my cable to HD...whereas BB did not offer that option. CC here was good to me. I dont ever go in there for anything. I go to BB for PC things and games, both are stand-alone stores.

I for one, am glad the internet is available. If I didn't have forums available to me, I would have never learned about subwoofers like DD, amps like Sundown, bargain components like the PG RSD series, and I could go on forever.
The point I am trying to make, and agree with, is that the 99.99% of the B&M shops are strictly in it for making a profit, not a quality install.

For example: I called to get pricing on installing an alarm in my 1997 Civic, and NO ONE would hook up some form of vehicle disabling. I told all of them, so you mean to tell me that on one of the most stolen cars in the US, you won't even hook up a simple starter kill... and their answer.... "It is a liability thing. We don't want to be responsible for a tow charge if that starter disable relay goes bad". Another one said "The alarm is good enough to keep your vehicle from getting stolen." Well, I have been to New Orleans and Houston, and I have seen cars being driven down the road with the alarm going off, so I tend to think that a noise making device will NOT deter a determined thief. End result: I found my wiring online and installed the alarm myself. No installer would have ever touched this because the alarm is buried so deep in the car it would have been too labor intensive to do.

Going further.... Three of the four custom shops within 10 miles from my house all push... get this.... J (freaking) L Audio for their subwoofers, whether it is for SPL, SQ, you name it, they always recommend JL Audio and they try to ram it down your throat like there is no tomorrow. Why? Because the profit margins are higher on JL Audio subwoofers! The other custom shop pushes Memphis and I am actually friends with the owner and the dude who manages that shop.

The B&M shops blame the internet for hurting them. Well, I blame their greed and unwillingness to diversify and change with the times.

I believe this too. I have always wondered why would a shop be specific to just one brand, but also carry others. I know alot of stores are biased on thier opnion, like kicker or memphis, so they recommend them every time. But its like you said I believe they get more profit on a certain brand or is sponsered by them. I always wondered why wouldnt you carry ever brand you could and be as unbiased as possible, which would give the consumer of wider range. But its like Lupe says, they want everything dumbed down, and give you less information just to keep you coming back

My LCD from CC was $300 cheaper for the exact same model at BB. And to get it from BB I had to wait 3 days. CC had it in stock. ALSO....with CC I got an additional $100 off if I upgraded my cable to HD...whereas BB did not offer that option. CC here was good to me. I dont ever go in there for anything. I go to BB for PC things and games, both are stand-alone stores.
Yeah I get a lot of electronics for a better price at cc than BB. Now media is usually the same price (games are usually the same, same w/ cd's and dvds)

I believe this too. I have always wondered why would a shop be specific to just one brand, but also carry others. I know alot of stores are biased on thier opnion, like kicker or memphis, so they recommend them every time. But its like you said I believe they get more profit on a certain brand or is sponsered by them. I always wondered why wouldnt you carry ever brand you could and be as unbiased as possible, which would give the consumer of wider range. But its like Lupe says, they want everything dumbed down, and give you less information just to keep you coming back
There are things about the car audio industry many people don't know, or think about but they apply to almost every retail industry.

1) Territories: This is a huge factor, or used to be. If shop A carries Kicker then shop B which is only 1.5 miles away can not carry Kicker because of the protected territory shop A was guaranteed by Kicker. This continues up the chain. There is also a middleman between Kicker and shop A. The shop may call him "the local Kicker rep" but he is really just another salesman. His job is to sell Kicker audio to car audio shops. he has a protected territory as well. It may be the Midwest, or an entire state, or just a city or county. Guess what? He marks up the product in order to make a profit before the shop even receives it. The rep may also sell more than one brand. For example: Back in my day the local Sony rep was also the local Phoenix Gold rep. So if you walked into a specialty shop and seen a PG amp you were likely to see some Sony ES products on the sound board as well.

This was how the industry operated for years and everyone was happy. Except the consumers. Why? Because the consumers were paying out the nose for a CD player that only cost about $12 to manufacture in China.

Along came the big box stores and the whole industry (local retailers) were in an uproar. The big box stores upset the whole situation. They skipped the local rep and went straight to the manufacturer. And the greedy manufacturers saw the potential profits the big stores promised. They immediately screwed the local retailers and started selling to the big chain stores. To appease the local retailers and the snooty "audiophiles" they created brands like Mobile ES, Excelon, and Premier that were supposedly only available at specialty retailers and not the big box stores.

Upscale brands like Orion created lesser brands to sell to the chain stores. Remember The Hott Setup and the Hifonics Hawk amplifiers?? Some were successful and some were not. Some brands didn't sell to the big box stores but instead created lesser product lines at a lower price point so the specialty shops could compete on price. Remember the PPI Sedona series, the Rockford Series 1, and Phoenix Gold Sapphire?

This was the beginning of the downward spiral. Gone was the competition to make the best product. Now everyone wanted to make the most profitable, and yet lowest price product. The competition left the sound off lanes and went to the Sunday sale papers.

There were rumors that some of the larger local reps received some payoffs to compensate for the loss to the big box retailers but I can not confirm that.

Some brands held out, Only selling to smaller specialty shops until they went bankrupt and were devoured, masticated, and crapped out of Korea by DEI. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

The next step in this evolution is the internet. We've bypassed the local retailer, the local rep, and now the big box store. Some companies will fail, some will succeed. Now we have ED, Fi, Sundown, etc all of which are almost exclusively "internet brands"

Kicker still promises protected territories to it's retailers but at any one time you can find 500-1000 listings for Kicker products on ebay alone. Not to mention all the other "non-authorized" retailers selling Kicker on the internet. Do you really think Kicker doesn't know how those products are getting there? They know, but they're enjoying the profits too much to care. And I'm not picking on Kicker , I just pulled their name off the top of my head. There are plenty of other companies doing the same thing

And don't forget Crutchfield. That's a whole 'nother story.

the store i was hired at is brand new and was just finished about a 2 years ago
yeah the one we have here is only a few years old. we had one in another location that was small. and then they moved to the new location

yeah the one we have here is only a few years old. we had one in another location that was small. and then they moved to the new location
thats EXACTLY what they did here, they had a location that was tiny, and was 4-5 blocks from the mall (also 3 blocks from best buy) then they closed that tiny store and moved into a huge store in the mall (which is across the street from best buy lol) they have only been in the new store for a year or 2

Its a good move from a good new ceo. Just hope its not too late. Best Buy almost closed shop in the early 90's now look at their success. IMO CC is better than BB. I dont like going into best buy the same reason i dont like to go into a wallmart, giant, lots of noise, and no one knows what they are talking about, CC has some no nothing as well tho...

:(Whenever I been to a C.C. I was always disappionted. They never had anything worth buying. The selections seemed limited, car audio was a joke. To this day, if I need to go get something I dont even think about CC. My thought goes right to Fry's electronics, or BB or if it is only car audio I am seeking, I go to the private shops to do my barganing. Now come on people, if you are working somewhere and you dont see much activity, you ought to be able to figure out that your job is unsecure. Revenue is what pays your rent. That key is to see who is spending where. And I can tell you that one of the BIGGEST culprits is the internet sales you all flock to. We see this chit all across the board.

I don't think you'll see any liquidation sales if they do close 150 stores. The inventory will simply be dispersed to other stores in the district and/or moved to the warehouses.

you're a moron for making that statement, people being educated in no way shape or form is a bad thing.
You're an extreme moron for all of your shitty generalizations.

Sorry theres no good stores/shops/installers near you. But as far as I go I actually love audio and never provide false info to make a sale or push just the high margin products or any ******** like that. Yes, I've actually went out and researched most of the products I work with on a daily basis, and I've actually used most of them. I've also devoted a lot of time and money into learning how to install and having the tools to properly do so.

People being educated isnt a bad thing at all. I got educated somehow. some was from simply reading stuff on here even. But some was also by going out there and taking on cars just to learn. I've done a lot of cars for no or little charge just to learn more about what I do. I've worked alongside people who have been doing it for years and learned things from them. It comes from a lot of different places. I wouldn't be where I am if I couldn't get educated.

People on this forum are the exception. Obviously I know theres people who install themselves and do awesome jobs. But its what you dont see that I do on a daily basis that I am talking about. for every nice install on here there a dozen firehazard installs on the road by people who read a post online and wanted to save money. Most of them end up losing or wasting money in the process.

Just the other day I saw a car that was totally ****ed, airbag harnesses unplugged, radio harness chopped off, cd player blown, subs damaged, wire being slammed in the door.

That ended up costing them over 500 more than it should have costed plus possible re-sale of their vehicle.

Another thing is, for every person on here with a sundown, or incriminator, or fi, etc etc, theres twenty out there with a legacy. Tons of people look at these internet retailers and expect a banging ass 4000 watt system for like 200 bucks. No joke, this is the type customer I talk to every day. They never listen to what you say, and are convinced by the peak rating and ridiculously cheap prices. This is what makes people like me mad.

Sorry to say, the world of car audio is REALLY NOTHING LIKE IT IS ON THIS FORUM.

You're an extreme moron for all of your shitty generalizations.
Sorry theres no good stores/shops/installers near you. But as far as I go I actually love audio and never provide false info to make a sale or push just the high margin products or any ******** like that. Yes, I've actually went out and researched most of the products I work with on a daily basis, and I've actually used most of them. I've also devoted a lot of time and money into learning how to install and having the tools to properly do so.

People being educated isnt a bad thing at all. I got educated somehow. some was from simply reading stuff on here even. But some was also by going out there and taking on cars just to learn. I've done a lot of cars for no or little charge just to learn more about what I do. I've worked alongside people who have been doing it for years and learned things from them. It comes from a lot of different places. I wouldn't be where I am if I couldn't get educated.

People on this forum are the exception. Obviously I know theres people who install themselves and do awesome jobs. But its what you dont see that I do on a daily basis that I am talking about. for every nice install on here there a dozen firehazard installs on the road by people who read a post online and wanted to save money. Most of them end up losing or wasting money in the process.

Just the other day I saw a car that was totally ****ed, airbag harnesses unplugged, radio harness chopped off, cd player blown, subs damaged, wire being slammed in the door.

That ended up costing them over 500 more than it should have costed plus possible re-sale of their vehicle.

Another thing is, for every person on here with a sundown, or incriminator, or fi, etc etc, theres twenty out there with a legacy. Tons of people look at these internet retailers and expect a banging ass 4000 watt system for like 200 bucks. No joke, this is the type customer I talk to every day. They never listen to what you say, and are convinced by the peak rating and ridiculously cheap prices. This is what makes people like me mad.

Sorry to say, the world of car audio is REALLY NOTHING LIKE IT IS ON THIS FORUM.
you're missing the point a bit, what i was clearly referring to was the fact that people installing their own equipment hurts the "industry".

and in the sense you put it in, was that because it took away money from "qualified" installers who could be paid to install the equipment.

now in that sense, as i had intended it, is very true.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mjf

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
mjf
asdf
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date