Buying used sub... what to ask, what to look at

Participant count
  • Participant list

wevie
10+ year member

Iowa
I'm going to look at a used DC LVL4 tonight.

What can I do to make sure I'm not buying junk?

Problem #1 - the sub is being powerd by Power Acoustik

Problem #2 - the amp is wired through a capacitor

Those two things put up warning flags.

Good thing is - there is no DC supplier even remotely close to my area. Therefore, this sub had to purchased online. I'd think anyone who buys a DC sub must have SOME knowledge of wtf they are buying.

Problem #3 - it is in a box and the owner doesn't know the volume. This leads me to believe he doesn't have a clue about car audio.

explain the through the capacitor problem was the amp on a cap or was the sub inline with the cap.

and best way to find out if it's good its to test the coils with a dmm, or a 9 volt battery, and push the cone slightly and listen for coil rub

What I meant about the cap was that if an individual really knows about car audio, they wouldn't run a cap. If they just buy what their friends or a salesman tells them to, they run a capactor.

u wana here the sub first to make sure it works. its a good idea to check the sub,push down on the cone and its not a bad idea to smell the sub. check the coils to make sure there is no burnt marks etc. u wana bring a dmm with you and check the coils to see where they rest at. when u check the coils do it on a flat surface and if its gona b tonight its best to not test the coils when the sub is just siting on the cold ground.

Well we could also go as far as to say "anyone who doesn't know the difference between a blown woofer and a normal one doesn't know anything about car audio".

But that would be making an assumption. Maybe the guy had limited funds. Maybe all he could afford was a cap, instead of a batt. Maybe he didn't have room for a batt. We don't know. Maybe he bought a prefab box, cause he doesn't have the tools to make one.

take a DMM and make sure the coils read close to 2ohm/4ohm
push down on the sub and see if it makes noise

smell it a bit

test it with an amp
Being a LVL4 it should be close to 1 or 2 ohm depending on the VC, right?

Smelling, huh... can't believe I didn't think of that. Talking over the phone, it doesn't sound like it is still wired up. Guess I can be prepared to wire it to my system to verify that it works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.