Buying Advice Needed: Kenwood 893S or Pioneer AVIC 8200

Participant count
  • Participant list

olgregsplace

Hi all,

First time poster needing some buying advice. I am torn between replacing my KW 890 with a KW 893S or a Pioneer AVIC 8200. Audio quality is probably paramount to me but I want to get the most out of the features I'm paying for on either unit.

Pros 893S

-Reported superior sound quality to the 8200

-5V preouts

-You can save your audio settings to memory

-Garmen Navigation

-No need to reset gains since I'm already using 5V preouts on my current Kenwood.

Cons(Can any owners report on these?)

-Early reviews say that you can't use Android Auto at the same time as an Ipod. Has this been resolved via a firmware update? This would be a possible deal breaker. Reported that both the Ipod and AA only work on one USB port, the other one is useless.

-Ipod Nano compatibility. My backup Ipod is 4th generation which isn't listed as compatible with the 893s.

-Past issues with Kenwood. My navigation on my 890 no longer works, doesn't even start. Additionally when the temperature drops below 50 degrees the unit takes between 5-20 minutes to turn on.

Pros 8200

-Automatic Time Alignment using mic

-Reported better interface

-Able to use Android Auto and Ipod simultaneously

-In general better reviews but these reviews don't take the fact I am an audiophile into account

-Fewer bugs more reliable

Cons

-4V preouts

-Allegedly the sound quality isn't as good as the Kenwood (Can anyone report?)

-No option to save audio settings to memory

-Fewer audio options

I guess the biggest separator here is whether I'll suffer in sound quality going from the 893 to the 8200. On the flipside if the 893s is more reliable and has fixed in particular the ability to run Android Auto and an Ipod simultaneously that may tip the scales.

Thanks!

I only have the Avic NEX8000 and don't know anything about Kenwood. However, the 8000 has amazing sound quality and functionality. The tuning abilities of it allows me all I could ask for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.