Building a bass chamber to direct the bass into the cab?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dnutheviper

I have 1965 Buick riviera and I would like to know if buiding a chamber around my sealed box for my 2 12w3v2's and porting it through the original single 6x9 hole in between the rear seats, will give me good sound in the car. The speakers will be facing foward firing into another box basically that tunnels into that 6x9 hole, which is raised up and further back about 12 inches so I cant put the box directly behind the seats. I'm going to try to isolatate the bass completely from the truck as much as I can with the second chamber/box. Does this sound like it will work? I tried all other methods facing rear, up, and the bass seems to get lost in the trunk. I do not want to cut any holes in my rear deck lid as I want keep everthing original looking. This should also cut down on my trunk vibration as the cabin is now pressurized instead of the trunk. (my opinion). The box is built to JL's specs, 2.5 cubic feet, and internally braced. The box is 46wx16hx6d(top)12d(bottom). I'm also going to use some dynamat as this should help with vibrations.

Not really a port since my 2nd chamber will be about 30wx18hx12d from the original box, smaller as it gets closer to the stock 6x9 hole, around 20wx10h when all is said and done, with foam and sealant all around the end of the chamber on the back of the seat bracket. My goal to completely isolate the trunk or as much as possible from the bass comming out of the box. Seems like a lot of work but it's not really. I have the templates cut out but was wondering if anyone else has some thoughts on this. I can't take the seats out since that would not be original, but thanks.

Well the box is already built. I really don't want to build another since it sounds really good. I hooked it up to my Toyota sequoia SUV, with a JL 500.1 and it #$%^ slams!!, but in the Riviera it sounds like ****. I'm going to use some dynamat and some homepot foil/tar paper too to help cut the vibrations and rattle down. that should help with the bass.

asphalt = crap get raammat or something else butyl... just... better...

of course the SUV is louder it doesn't have to fight it's way into the cabin. You're basicly talking about building a new box and if you don't realize that and what to tune that you REALLY shouldn't try it. (IMO of course)

I would still strongly reccomend building a ported box..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.