Budget high sensitivity sub?

Loud3
5,000+ posts

Pay me, *****.
Sin City
Looking for something with a fairly high sensitivity... not looking to throw a lot of power at it, but I need it to be efficient.

Going in a daily driver, so I don't want to bust open the wallet on it...

assume that it's going to be sealed (built to spec), and going to be getting 350-600RMS. Amp will be selected based on the driver.

Everything else is subjective.

Sugguestions?

Sensitivity in subwoofers is an overrated spec.

If efficiency is a concern, I'd be thinking about the box it's going into, vs. trying to find a driver that has a relatively high sensitivity - as there's going to be drawbacks to it.

Sensitivity in subwoofers is an overrated spec.
If efficiency is a concern, I'd be thinking about the box it's going into, vs. trying to find a driver that has a relatively high sensitivity - as there's going to be drawbacks to it.

I am aware. Hah.

Small, sealed enclosure. Room isn't an issue (96 maxima... large trunk).

I had to remove a large stereo because school requires me to use most of the trunk to haul crap around...

Just wanting one solid 10 or 12.

A 15 wouldn't be bad either... but I'm not looking for a massive enclosure.

Cerwin vega v-max is supposed to get pretty loud on its rated power, aka it doesnt need 500 more than rms to start wangin.

The lower lines of MTX would work as well, as Well as Elemental designs subwoofers.

Im sure there are plenty of others. PG RSD subwoofers get great reviews as well.

Peavey Low-riders. I think they are like 101 db at 1w1m
Ever look at what the enclosure requirements for something like that is, and how they get that kind of efficiency? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Drivers like that are a bit like my Fostex Sigmas...sure, you can get 95dB/W out of a midbass, but you're looking at monster enclosure sizes, otherwise you have anemic bass...if you have the room for it, that's great, but it sounded like he wanted something small.

Hoffman's Iron Law is at work here. You're backing yourself into a bad corner with a small enclosure and not a lot of power.

I can get you a 12" ID Max v.3 d4 for 300.00 shipped if you or anyone else might be interested.It is brand new in the box.

I just bought one from a local guy.He's getting ready to move and wants them gone.He leaves on Friday so Id need to know ASAP.

This sub is a beast!!!Ill be hooking up mine tomorrow.I cant wait.

If interested let me know.

Ever look at what the enclosure requirements for something like that is, and how they get that kind of efficiency? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Drivers like that are a bit like my Fostex Sigmas...sure, you can get 95dB/W out of a midbass, but you're looking at monster enclosure sizes, otherwise you have anemic bass...if you have the room for it, that's great, but it sounded like he wanted something small.

Hoffman's Iron Law is at work here. You're backing yourself into a bad corner with a small enclosure and not a lot of power.
small power and small box is not a good ideea..now small power and big box is nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the aq sd 2.5 is a nice choice

The 8" subs work in 1.0cuft, 10-inch subs work in 1.5cuft, 12-inch subs work in 2.5cuft,

and that is for ported so they will be efficient

just a suggestion

If you can find an old Adire Shiva MK4, they can be had cheap enough and would fit your bill. An Incriminator Audio 187 would work if you can get more than 300 watts or so to it - at least that's my experience. You can't get away with a small prefab box, but either setup is quite potent.

If you're feeling peticularly bold, a Decware DHM108B in a Deathbox II can murder other setups in that power range. It's quite cheap too, unless you buy the Deathbox premade. One of my old setups was an IA 187 in a Deathbox off about 500 watts - it scored higher than most 2 and 3 sub (With 2 and 3 times the power) setups in my area, but the meter we used was nameless and peticularly old, so take that as you will.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.