Budget Component Setup

zimmer82
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I plan to buy a kicker kx/zx 200.2 in the near future and a set of 6.5" components to replace my worn out stock speakers. I'll be sending them roughly 100w rms x 2ohm with that particular kicker amp.

After doing some research, i'm still confused on which set will give me the most clarity and sound quality while keeping them under $200. People have recommended the Polk db series, CDT's, Orion, Infinity Kappa's, and a couple others but wanted some more opinions on what you guys would run as a far as a budget setup.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7755_Focal+165+A1.html

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8912_MB+Quart+DSG+216.html

I like the Polks as well, theyre nice speakers, and sound awesome, good midbass, tweeter is good, basically all around a great speaker and great buy!

Never heard CDTs, but they have a good rep and guys on here seem to like em

Infinity Kappas are another solid speaker, the Kappas tweeter are very nice, not harsh, good clarity and crisp sound

I just heard some Orion comps the other day, and they are prty solid, the tweeter wasnt as nice as the others for me, but clear and crisp with some good midbass

so basically i told u that all the speakers u have in mind are all good and i like em, so what u need to do is go listen to em! Its all about personal preference, if i was to choose id go with the Focals just from a personal stand point, all of those are good, so get out there and hear em!!!

I plan to buy a kicker kx/zx 200.2 in the near future and a set of 6.5" components to replace my worn out stock speakers. I'll be sending them roughly 100w rms x 2ohm with that particular kicker amp. After doing some research, i'm still confused on which set will give me the most clarity and sound quality while keeping them under $200. People have recommended the Polk db series, CDT's, Orion, Infinity Kappa's, and a couple others but wanted some more opinions on what you guys would run as a far as a budget setup.
How much power at 4Ohms, I don't think you'll run across a retail 2ohm component set very soon. Also where are the speakers goignto be place (Where will the tweet and midrange be)?

i was at an audio place today, and heard Orions again, they get loud with good midbass but the tweeter isnt that good, it doesnt produce great highs, so id take that off your list if u want sound quality

I plan to buy a kicker kx/zx 200.2 in the near future and a set of 6.5" components to replace my worn out stock speakers. I'll be sending them roughly 100w rms x 2ohm with that particular kicker amp.
The only way you are going to accomplishing this is if you get a 2 Ohm comp set. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

With that being said, do you alreay have the Kicker amp? If not, what is your amp budget?

another option i was considering is the orion 4002 since i already have the 600d and has been flawless for the 2yrs i have ran it. The orion puts out 100w x 2 at 4ohm so ill probably go with that amp since i have more 4ohm speaker options.

I just recently heard a set of infinity kappas like i was originally planning to get and the tweeters seem a bit harsh to me. Granted, i dont know how the settings were tuned to them so idk if the highs were turned all the way up or not but they do get very loud

crystal went out of business a few weeks ago...so their warranty is non existent. i have them and they were a hell of a speaker until last week when a voice coil went bad...now i'm screwed.

i don't have any other suggestions, but i'm in the same boat as zimmer82 now, b/c i'm looking for another budget set of components that can match how great these crystals sounded.

crystal went out of business a few weeks ago...so their warranty is non existent. i have them and they were a hell of a speaker until last week when a voice coil went bad...now i'm screwed.
i don't have any other suggestions, but i'm in the same boat as zimmer82 now, b/c i'm looking for another budget set of components that can match how great these crystals sounded.
I also can get some DLS 6.5 comps for 170 shipped with a warranty. Granted, these wont get as loud as the crystals but the clarity and quality are right on par with the crystals

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.