Budget 4 Ch Amp for Morel Maximos

chones

Hi All,

I wanted to ask y'all's advice on a decent budget amp (new or used) to power my Morel Maximo comps. I'd like to keep the amp under $200 because I have to pay for install because I'm really not comfortable doing the remote wire myself.

I was looking at the PPI 800.4 and this BA GT-475. I should mention that I'm not a bass head, listen mostly to punk, some reggae and old school Jamaican ska, just need something to power the front stage and back fill. I wanted a 4ch in case I want to bridge later to add a small 10" subwoofer leaving the rears powered by head unit. I also should say this is being run off a factory HU in a '13 Civic SI. I don't wanna lose steering/iMid functionality so I'm keeping the HU factory.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I like the 900.4, especially since it's so compact compared to the 800.4, but was concerned that it's too powerful for these little components. Here's the Maximos' power rating:

Peak: 360 watts per set / 180 watts each side

RMS: 180 watts per set / 90 watts each side

If I end up bridging 1&2 to power Morels, PPI rates this at 450@4Ohms. Is it safe to have more power than the peak power of the speakers? Granted, I'd only ever be listening to them at moderate volumes, but still. Oh, if you can't tell, I'm a total nub when it comes to these things. Thanks for your comment.

I think I'm really looking for a 4 ch amp, though I read the reviews of the BA GT-2200. Looks good. My thinking is that if I get a decent 4 ch now, I'll have room to upgrade should the bug hit me again. I'd really prefer not to have to purchase a separate monoblock for a little 10" sub. Unless I'm totally wrong, connecting a comp set and a sub to a 2 ch amp wouldn't be the optimum way to upgrade, right?

If it's a tri-mode capable amp, there's not really a problem there. But, honestly, at the price you might as well pick up a pair of the GT-2200. I did a test on the 2125 to see how much she could put out for sub duty and ended up with about 1350W at 2ohms bridged. Clean. It's only rated for 600W. And those are RMS numbers, not peak.

In other words, buy two and save one for when you add the sub. Together, they're still less than one cost when they first came out.

PPI P900.4 is great for simple, affordable install under $200. High efficiency, so it runs barely warm. High power, low distortions. There is no problem with having more power than your speakers need. I am guessing the Boston Accoustics GT-475 could battle it as a speaker amplifier, but the P900.4 is the way to go if you want the same amplifier to power subwoofer. I lot of people could live with 450watt RMS sub stage. Soundstream TN4.950D uses the same board, so you can buy whichever you like more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.