broken lead wire

Participant count
  • Participant list
That is called the tinsel lead. It can be repaired correctly, or incorrectly. Its tempting to simply re-solder the wire back together. but, the wire will never be as long as it was originally when doing this, and it will leave a hard, non-flexible point in your tinsel lead where it broke (probably in the center). The right way to fix a broken tinsel is to completely cut off the old one, and re-solder on a new one, soldering at the two ends. This will leave the center of the tinsel lead flexible, where it needs the most flex.

well it actually broke very close to where it connects to the cone

if i were to do it correctly where would i get the lead, how do i know which one to get?

you said solder it on but it's not soldered to the cone is it.

thanks

will re-soldering it effect the sq of the woofer

and since it's broken in close to the cone, do you think i may have a better chance of it not breaking?

The tinsel flexes the most at the center. So yes, soldering it at the end would be best. But it broke once, I have to be concerned it would break again. Especially since it would be abit shorter once you re-solder it. Try calling someone like Fi, Ive heard of them sending out tinsel wire before.

If done properly, a repaired tinsel lead will not affect SQ at all. All the lead does is pass current through it, just like your speaker wire. breaking a speaker wire and repairing it wouldn't cause any negative affects on SQ, neither will this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.