Broken Antenna Wire - What can I do?

nburns1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi! I was installing a new head unit into my van the other day (a BOSS Audio BV9976B) and didn't realize that the antenna wire was snagged on something when trying to slide it into my dash. Long story short, the antenna wire broke with only about 1 inch of clearance from the head unit to the end of the wire, making it very difficult to solder or use a butt connector. I briefly looked at the head unit to see how to remove the wire completely but couldn't find a simple solution in the 2 minutes I looked at it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the entire length of wire from the internal part of the head unit, or is that just a huge pain?

Any other suggestions on what to do from this point?

If you're talking about the female FM connector that is hardwired to the head unit your only real option is either 1. open up the head unit and replace it or get a new head unit. Might contact Boss for a replacement but I'm not familiar with the internals of that particular HU or if there are any specific issues you might run into.

It was probably Gods way of telling you do not hook up a boss head unit. No offense, but boss head units are garbage. They sound like ****. Spend more than $20 on your head unit. You can find a good pioneer or kenwood head unit for $25 to $80 used on OfferUp or letgo. But first, You will have to pay a guy that does electrical work on cars to fix that. They charge by the hour. Anywhere from $70 to $90 an hour. So it’s about an hour of work.

This is for the female connector going into the head unit. I just don't understand how the inner part connects in the head unit and don't want to crack it open if it's completely not feasible. If anybody knows how they typically wire into the head unit, i could open it, purchase a new female wire and connect it in.

This is for the female connector going into the head unit. I just don't understand how the inner part connects in the head unit and don't want to crack it open if it's completely not feasible. If anybody knows how they typically wire into the head unit, i could open it, purchase a new female wire and connect it in.

I don't know how Boss connects their FM to the mainboard but honestly? For what the Boss is worth plus the amount of time it will take in getting the parts, possibly getting something working, soldering etc, it would be way easier to just buy a new head unit instead of trying to repair it. You'd need to buy a Female FM plug extension for $5-$10, then you'd need to figure out how that connects to the HU main board. I found a photo of the internals of the DEH-P80 and it doesn't look like it'll be a walk in the park. There is a high likelihood you'll have to pull the mainboard out of the frame in order to repair it.

Unless you're looking for a project and are good with DIY. I don't recommend this for a newbie. Contact Boss support and ask what they'd charge to repair it for you or buy a new headunit is my recommendation.

But another head unit. Boss head units are garbage. Boss doesn’t make good car audio. Nobody on here would ever tell you to get a Boss Audio anything. It’s a $20 stereo. Buy another one. But not boss or another cheap no name stereo. Invest more than $20 on a stereo and they won’t break. 02WS6 is just a nice guy that wants to be polite. But I’m gonna be blunt and honest. Get a different head unit.

I just looked up that head unit and turns out it’s $95 and is a DVD player with a 7” monitor. But still shitty. Trust me. You wasted your money wanting to get a DVD player for cheap when you could of spent that much and got a new regular single din or double din head unit that is WAY BETTER and have GREAT sound quality. Just chalk it up as an experience and a loss and take heed to this information so you don’t make a similar or the same mistake again. Can’t you see that that brand is shitty when you just got it and it’s already broke. Lol put your thinking cap on dude

And what it costs to fix it is more than the price of the head unit. Don’t ever buy a no name radio again. Go with kenwood, pioneer, alpine, or something like that. Even a jvc or a Sony would of been better than a boss.

I had the same issue with my fathers old van, the wire from the main antenna got damaged and stopped working
I have tried to fix it myself but at some point I realized that it would rather be better to get a modern antenna
considering nowadays there is a bunch of good deals out there. I have decided to ask my friends and family for some
advice and after a few recommendations I have decided to try out https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-tv-antenna-reviews/ . Been dealing with it for 4 months now and could never be happier, its very easy to apply and use it, I would
highly recommend it to anyone who has been going through the same problem as I.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.