Broken Antenna Wire - What can I do?

nburns1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 13, 2020
sacramento
Hi! I was installing a new head unit into my van the other day (a BOSS Audio BV9976B) and didn't realize that the antenna wire was snagged on something when trying to slide it into my dash. Long story short, the antenna wire broke with only about 1 inch of clearance from the head unit to the end of the wire, making it very difficult to solder or use a butt connector. I briefly looked at the head unit to see how to remove the wire completely but couldn't find a simple solution in the 2 minutes I looked at it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the entire length of wire from the internal part of the head unit, or is that just a huge pain?

Any other suggestions on what to do from this point?

IndySlim

CoolAssDude
Mar 13, 2019
Omaha NE
1 quick way is to cut the corresponding wire on the back of the connector coming from the radio and tie in there.

02WS6

Gif Guy and Bobby's BFF
Jan 12, 2020
Sacramento
If you're talking about the female FM connector that is hardwired to the head unit your only real option is either 1. open up the head unit and replace it or get a new head unit. Might contact Boss for a replacement but I'm not familiar with the internals of that particular HU or if there are any specific issues you might run into.

Abo

think before you type and please make it right
Feb 6, 2020
Unknown
He is talking about the antenna wire that is coming from his car. Not the head unit.

Abo

Feb 6, 2020
Unknown
It was probably Gods way of telling you do not hook up a boss head unit. No offense, but boss head units are garbage. They sound like shit. Spend more than $20 on your head unit. You can find a good pioneer or kenwood head unit for $25 to $80 used on OfferUp or letgo. But first, You will have to pay a guy that does electrical work on cars to fix that. They charge by the hour. Anywhere from $70 to $90 an hour. So it’s about an hour of work.

OP
N

nburns1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 13, 2020
sacramento
This is for the female connector going into the head unit. I just don't understand how the inner part connects in the head unit and don't want to crack it open if it's completely not feasible. If anybody knows how they typically wire into the head unit, i could open it, purchase a new female wire and connect it in.

02WS6

Gif Guy and Bobby's BFF
Jan 12, 2020
Sacramento
This is for the female connector going into the head unit. I just don't understand how the inner part connects in the head unit and don't want to crack it open if it's completely not feasible. If anybody knows how they typically wire into the head unit, i could open it, purchase a new female wire and connect it in.
I don't know how Boss connects their FM to the mainboard but honestly? For what the Boss is worth plus the amount of time it will take in getting the parts, possibly getting something working, soldering etc, it would be way easier to just buy a new head unit instead of trying to repair it. You'd need to buy a Female FM plug extension for $5-$10, then you'd need to figure out how that connects to the HU main board. I found a photo of the internals of the DEH-P80 and it doesn't look like it'll be a walk in the park. There is a high likelihood you'll have to pull the mainboard out of the frame in order to repair it.

Unless you're looking for a project and are good with DIY. I don't recommend this for a newbie. Contact Boss support and ask what they'd charge to repair it for you or buy a new headunit is my recommendation.

Abo

Feb 6, 2020
Unknown
But another head unit. Boss head units are garbage. Boss doesn’t make good car audio. Nobody on here would ever tell you to get a Boss Audio anything. It’s a $20 stereo. Buy another one. But not boss or another cheap no name stereo. Invest more than $20 on a stereo and they won’t break. 02WS6 is just a nice guy that wants to be polite. But I’m gonna be blunt and honest. Get a different head unit.

Abo

Feb 6, 2020
Unknown
I just looked up that head unit and turns out it’s $95 and is a DVD player with a 7” monitor. But still shitty. Trust me. You wasted your money wanting to get a DVD player for cheap when you could of spent that much and got a new regular single din or double din head unit that is WAY BETTER and have GREAT sound quality. Just chalk it up as an experience and a loss and take heed to this information so you don’t make a similar or the same mistake again. Can’t you see that that brand is shitty when you just got it and it’s already broke. Lol put your thinking cap on dude

Abo

Feb 6, 2020
Unknown
And what it costs to fix it is more than the price of the head unit. Don’t ever buy a no name radio again. Go with kenwood, pioneer, alpine, or something like that. Even a jvc or a Sony would of been better than a boss.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds