Break in period for XXX?

I have two 05 XXX's. One is still bnib, but I did use the other for a few months in a sealed box. Yes, the suspension did loosen up noticeably. But at no point did it sound... bad. The problem is the box.

Yep, box is too small. Where did you come up with 3.2 cubes anyway?
Didn't have time to build a box so i picked up one locally that was made for an FI Q tune to 33hz. I know the XXX magnet will take up more volume so i stuffed 2lbs of polyfill to compensate for that. Theres nothin wrong with the SPL on this driver. Its pretty **** loud, but the SQ is boomy for my taste. I'm guessing i need to tune lower and bigger enclosure. This is coming from my 12" arc flatline @ 28 hz. Could be just my ears being used to the ARC.

The XXX will display more linear output than the FL. 'Boominess' is more accounted for by enclosure, and system tuning. Do you have a processor that allows much adjustment for the subwoofer?

Vented systems are very sensitive to getting it right. Much less forgiving than sealed for example. Buying a too-small prefab and stuffing it with poly is not a recipe for good performance.

Actually, if you don't want it to be quite as boomy, I would go with a slightly smaller box or keep it the same size, and tune around 30 hz.

Bigger box usually makes for boomier sound.

I currently have my 12" XXX in a 2 cu. tuned @ 33 hz, and I think I might go slightly bigger with the box to 2.5-2.7, but keep the same tuning. I think the SQL is amazing and accurate and they feel like they can more power than everyone says. I LOVE THESE SUBS!!!!

smaller box creates more of a boomy effect doesn't it? The sub is hard to blend with the front stage. I heard its only good up to 63 hz could be the problem and me needing to run like 8 in mids in my doors. I might just have to build a bigger box this summer when i have time. Also audioholic how would you compare the SQ of a Mag to the XXX i have. I think i seen you post somehting about playing with either the 2 before. thanks

smaller box creates more of a boomy effect doesn't it? The sub is hard to blend with the front stage. I heard its only good up to 63 hz could be the problem and me needing to run like 8 in mids in my doors. I might just have to build a bigger box this summer when i have time. Also audioholic how would you compare the SQ of a Mag to the XXX i have. I think i seen you post somehting about playing with either the 2 before. thanks
i've had both, and i went back to XXX's........but the mag is a great sub, excellent sq, just not enough output for me

Yeah must have been bones, I haven't owned a Mag.

Yes you want substantial midbass to run with that XXX. But if you have it, the system should sound amazing.

edit: I just built a box for my two xxx15's... 4 cubes tuned to 30hz for each driver. (not installed yet)

my mags in a big sealed box

DSC02102.jpg

my old XXX in 4 cube @ 28 box

DSC01058.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.