Brand New Type R 12's

Maxipads
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just installed 2 of them yesterday they are dual voice coil 4 ohm. I got 4 gauge ground and power cables and new 12 gauge speaker wires, and hooked everything up to a BXI 1210d, 1200 watts @ 1 ohm. I have everything wired correctly my ground is secure on a bolt straight on the chassis and no there isnt any paint on it. They are in a ported 4.02 cubic ft box. Well these things are slammin, sound amazing, but of course theres a flaw. Ive already looked at older threads to look for answers and i just want to be sure. Only on certain songs the subs start to smell. I have the smell of new subs and new box in there already but this one kind of overtakes it a little. The song- That's All I Have - Tyga, Lil Wayne, and Shanell, and Can't Crush My Cool- Juice and Bun B. Im wondering if its excess glue burning or if im breaking them in or if im cooking some voice coils. Any advise would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Right now I'm running 2 type-r's at 1800w with my bxi-2010D in a 3.5 cube box @ 32hz and I haven't smelled anything. Granted the box is smaller so it will have little better power handling and I haven't slammed on it for longer than one bass heavy song at a time considering they aren't mine =p When you put your hand on the cone is it warm to the touch?

Hmm type-r's shouldn't be getting warm on 600w each. You sure your gains are correct? I used to slam a single type-r with 800-900w all day and it only got slightly warm on the cone in the summer.

are they absolutley brand new 09 or 10 models? if so they'll take a week or two to fully break in. I wouldn't throw 1200 at em just yet if their brand new.

Well im not sure what the models looks like i just know the cone has the ridges on it. Do you guys think im burning voice coil's or what? i dont know how to use a DMM to set my gains... SOrry im a noob at car audio lol, and they are brand new i got in the factory box all sealed up and everything.

You're fine. Just take it easy for two weeks (moderate) and it'll end. They'll actually get a bit louder after being broken in. Thought the same thing with my friends same exact set up except 4 cubes Ported to 35

yeah then just take 2 weeks and turn the gain and the bass down. especially if you have the bass turned up on your head unit. after two weeks or so you can turn the gain back up. just make sure your not clipping anything.

and as for bass boost on my remote thats connected to the amp through ethernet cable is all the way up yes.. so i should turn that down?

yeah then just take 2 weeks and turn the gain and the bass down. especially if you have the bass turned up on your head unit. after two weeks or so you can turn the gain back up. just make sure your not clipping anything.
Sorry to sound nubbish but is there another word for "gain" because my amp there isnt a dial with the word gain on it... only Phase, and Bass EQ, and osme other ones

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.