brakes

i've never heard this. you need to bleed them if they are spongy.
He never said they felt spongy, just that the pedal went to the floor. When you replace disk brake pads, pushing the cylinder back into the bore creates excess space between the pad and the rotor, which means the first few pumps of the pedal will have little to no stopping power and the pedal will drop to the floor. As the cylinder gets pushed out, you'll feel the pedal tighten and the brakes will start acting normally. This usually takes about 10 good pumps of the pedal. Especially on vehicles made in the 90's or before. Newer ones take less; sometimes 1 or 2 good pumps is enough.

He never said they felt spongy, just that the pedal went to the floor. When you replace disk brake pads, pushing the cylinder back into the bore creates excess space between the pad and the rotor, which means the first few pumps of the pedal will have little to no stopping power and the pedal will drop to the floor. As the cylinder gets pushed out, you'll feel the pedal tighten and the brakes will start acting normally. This usually takes about 10 good pumps of the pedal. Especially on vehicles made in the 90's or before.
which is part of the bleeding process that you MUST do after installing new brake pads

which is part of the bleeding process that you MUST do after installing new brake pads
technically, "bleeding" brakes is the process of removing air from the system. a brake system is a closed system, therefore after replacement of the brake pads, you must refill the cylinder behind the piston in the caliper by pressing the pedal(for most of the cars I have done including saturns is only one or 2 presses)

pump the brake to push the air out, then crack open the valve to release it. thats how it's done. then repeat until they are tight
^^^and to the O.P. because you replaced the calipers you will have to do this....after a simple pad replacement is when you do the other

I have never heard of pumping your brakes 10-15 times to seat them.

There is a procedure you do that consists of a few stop from 60mph-20mph without stopping completely. Then a few hard stops, again not completely stopping.

Then you go home and let the pads cool. You will have a nice little film where the pad makes perfect contact with the new surface(rotor).

This will make your pads last so much longer.

If you install the pads properly, you shouldn't induce any air into the system or contaminate the fluid in any way. You only need to change the fluid if it becomes contaminated, low, or gets air or water in it. Replacing the brake fluid every time you change your brakes is needless maintenance.

To the OP: when changing the calipers did your brakes leak any liquid? If so, then yes, a brake flush would be necessary.

If you install the pads properly, you shouldn't induce any air into the system or contaminate the fluid in any way. You only need to change the fluid if it becomes contaminated, low, or gets air or water in it. Replacing the brake fluid every time you change your brakes is needless maintenance.
To the OP: when changing the calipers did your brakes leak any liquid? If so, then yes, a brake flush would be necessary.
:wow:to replace a caliper you will remove the line....bleeding with a new caliper is a must.

he plainly stated he replaced the calipers

even if doing just pads, i always bleed. i push the piston back with a c-clamp and then bleed and re-fill to finish off.
You won't harm anything by doing so, but it's just unnecessary. You spend time and money replacing a liquid that doesn't get affected when you change the pads.

:wow:to replace a caliper you will remove the line....bleeding with a new caliper is a must.
he plainly stated he replaced the calipers

WINNAR!!! And if you dont know how to bleed brakes, just say so.. Dont say "its been a while" IF you replaced the calipers, you SHOULD know the brakes need to be bled period. If you do not kn ow that, then I would not be messing with a vehicles braking system. LEave it to the people that know what they are doing. You kind of need to be able to stop all the time, not just some of the time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

wow thanks for confusing me there lol. so to bleed the brakes im gunna need another person? is there another way to do it without using the tube and water bottle?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bannock

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
bannock
winnipeg,mb
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date