Box Tuning

not to make anyone sound like an idiot, but i'm going to dumb this down for everyone...

the sq" of the port is simply the area of the opening

-for a slot/square port it is the height x the width

-for round ports it is radius squared x PI (3.14)

the sq" is important because too little and you will get wind toubulance which can cause distortion. too much port area (depending on the box) can cause the sub to reach over excursion (like being in free air).

for round ports i use...

6"-8" driver - 3" wide port

8"-10" driver - 4" wide port

10"-12" driver - 5" wide port

12"-15" driver - 6" wide port

these numbers can be used to figure out slot ports as well...

example: pair of 12's: (2.5 x 2.5) X 3.14 = 19.6 (we'll just round to 20) then 20 x 2 = 40sq" of port.

now, depending on the box volume and desired tuning freq., will determine the port length.

the larger the port area, the longer it will need to be to achive a given freq., the less port area, the shorter it needs to be. you could, in theory, have a small box and tune it really low (16hz or what ever) with only using a 2" round port that would only have to be 8" long. but because of the tourbulance, it will be distorted and possibly even whistle. so, the right combination of port area, box volume, and desired freq. will determine the port length.

if i confused anyone even more...oh well, you asked.

not to make anyone sound like an idiot, but i'm going to dumb this down for everyone...
the sq" of the port is simply the area of the opening

-for a slot/square port it is the height x the width

-for round ports it is radius squared x PI (3.14)

the sq" is important because too little and you will get wind toubulance which can cause distortion. too much port area (depending on the box) can cause the sub to reach over excursion (like being in free air).

for round ports i use...

6"-8" driver - 3" wide port

8"-10" driver - 4" wide port

10"-12" driver - 5" wide port

12"-15" driver - 6" wide port

these numbers can be used to figure out slot ports as well...

example: pair of 12's: (2.5 x 2.5) X 3.14 = 19.6 (we'll just round to 20) then 20 x 2 = 40sq" of port.

now, depending on the box volume and desired tuning freq., will determine the port length.

the larger the port area, the longer it will need to be to achive a given freq., the less port area, the shorter it needs to be. you could, in theory, have a small box and tune it really low (16hz or what ever) with only using a 2" round port that would only have to be 8" long. but because of the tourbulance, it will be distorted and possibly even whistle. so, the right combination of port area, box volume, and desired freq. will determine the port length.

if i confused anyone even more...oh well, you asked.

very well said //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.