Box suggestions ssa icon

So I just purchased an ssa icon 12, I was thinking about building the box myself but I E-mailed zenclosures about a box for my mustang, they can't build a box any bigger than 1.6 cubic feet but they can put an aero port and tune it to 32hz, but thats on the low side for there ported specs. Would I be better off going sealed and getting them to match the sealed specs of 1.25? Or building my own ported box. There relatively cheap at 120 shipped and 3/4 MDF.

So I just purchased an ssa icon 12, I was thinking about building the box myself but I E-mailed zenclosures about a box for my mustang, they can't build a box any bigger than 1.6 cubic feet but they can put an aero port and tune it to 32hz, but thats on the low side for there ported specs. Would I be better off going sealed and getting them to match the sealed specs of 1.25? Or building my own ported box. There relatively cheap at 120 shipped and 3/4 MDF.
Look into fiberglassing one for more room or use the sealed spec.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Only prob is getting a 2.5 cube box to fit in my trunk with 2 amps back there. One is against the seat but the other won't mount there and getting a design for one that would fit. Max height is 14 inches, max width is around 30 and Max depth is 12 I believe.

Scratch that, for the sub box to be almost all the way against the seats the width may be more like 24-26 inches. With a height of 14, width of 26, and depth of 12 I'm looking at a 1.8cu ft sealed enclosure. Unless there's different ways to make the box fit in the trunk. The opening is just so small.

Local guy will fiberglass for 350 but really wasn't looking to spend too much. I just want this thing to sound as good as my nvx vcw but get louder. The nvx was in a .85 sealed box and wasn't happy with the sound down low. I'm hoping this sub and box setup performs better.

So should I stay away from the 1.6 aero port enclosure? They said they could tune any frequency I'd like.
Too small of ported will sound bad. You shoulda bought a smaller size sub for a smaller size box. Icons are great subs. You'll probably be able to sell it quickly if you tried.

Sealed has better low frequency extension actually, they are just quieter.

Fiberglass is actually really easy to do. Do a little googling on fiberglass sub box/tutorials. You'll be surprised how easy it is. Can you mount in infinity baffle?

Get a kreg jig. Build box inside the trunk. I know mustangs have smaller trunks and trunk openings but u can get 2.5cubes easy if U build it in the trunk. It's not hard either to use a kreg jig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too small of ported will sound bad. You shoulda bought a smaller size sub for a smaller size box. Icons are great subs. You'll probably be able to sell it quickly if you tried.
Sealed has better low frequency extension actually, they are just quieter.

Fiberglass is actually really easy to do. Do a little googling on fiberglass sub box/tutorials. You'll be surprised how easy it is. Can you mount in infinity baffle?

not always I sealed up my ports for my 4 18s for a sealed setup just for kicks and my 17hz strength disappeared. Didnt even play down to 22hz audibly. The overall efficiency you gain with ported more then makes up for the roll off so even in the end, ported will still get better low frequency extension. You can say oh it reaches the note with sealed but whats the use of it not being audible worth a d*mn.

Scratch that, for the sub box to be almost all the way against the seats the width may be more like 24-26 inches. With a height of 14, width of 26, and depth of 12 I'm looking at a 1.8cu ft sealed enclosure. Unless there's different ways to make the box fit in the trunk. The opening is just so small.
Might have been better off with a dayton HO 12 in a ported or a dayton ho 15 in a sealed. Thats the perfect airspace for them. you need to buy woofers based on airspace rather than what you think might get loud or what looks like a quality sub. You bought an ssa sub that thrives on big ported boxes and you are trying to cram it in a tiny space which means going sealed which means giving up a lot of output. Not that the icon doesnt do well in sealed but IT DOES MUCH BETTER in PORTED.

You will get much better results from subs that thrive in small airspace ported. AKA the daytons, DC audio, sundown and a few others.

What year Mustang? My 2012 will fit a 2.5 net box.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.