Box question, worth porting?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Xinspaly
10+ year member

Ok, in my cutlass ciera, the way the trunk is built is a pain in the ***, its nearly impossible for me to get a box built over 4.25 cubic feet to fit in the trunk without actually building it in the trunk.. I have 2 kicker l5 12's, would it be worth keeping them in a sealed 4.25 cubic foot box? or get a 4.25 cubic foot box tuned to 28 or 30 hz?

I have the sealed box now, and can easily port it with some aero ports on the side, 2 six inches perhaps?

Well i was thinking if i used dual 6's i could port em on the side? im not too worried about aesthetics but, if 4 aeros are going to be easier to work with and still sound decent with the l5's, then by all means i will pick up 4's, im just wondering if im going to notice a difference from keeping it sealed since those l5's want like, 5 cubic feet ported?

A pair of 6ers are going to have to be VERY long to get a 28hz tuning...I'd going with a single 6", since it's a little more port area than a pair of 4's. If you can do an external port just make it 20" long. If you're going to use PVC just ditch the ported idea.

I was going to get legitimate aero ports, from parts express i guess? the calculator im using says my ONE 6 inch aero should be 19.91 inches long, does that sound about right?

I was going to get legitimate aero ports, from parts express i guess? the calculator im using says my ONE 6 inch aero should be 19.91 inches long, does that sound about right?
Yes, assuming you're using the psp calc? My normal round port calc gives me ~18.5", but you're supposed to add an inch in length to account for the aeroport flares.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.