Box Pics Gloss Black - 18" BTL and 12" R's

Very nice work on it, and I mean VERY nice. Only suggestions I have: make sure that you spend most of your time sanding the work instead of painting. If you even THINK you can feel a box seam, then you definitely will see it. Then, sand down each coat of primer in increasing grits until you get a smooth as silk finish. Paint your lacquer first coat to where you can still see through it, then paint the next one and wetsand. Keep doing this until you have about 8 coats of lacquer or more, all wet sanded. Get some GOOD car wax like S100 or meg's #26, rub it on, wipe it off, and you'll blind yourself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks, Actually you guys make this paint process way harder then it actually is. A 5 year old child can do it with my steps and my outcome is a flawless super hi-gloss mirror finish....

Step 1 - Round over all the edges with a router, then cover all the cut edges of the mdf with wood filler.

Step 2 - Brush on and entire quart of Miniwax sanding sealer primer.

Step 3 - Sand down that sanding sealer with 400 grit.

Step 4 - Spray on the cheap Rust-Oleum black lacquer spray paint, use 5 cans total, 1 can each coat. Don't waste time westsanding in between coats. I don't and look how good my box came out.

Step 5 - Wetsand the entire box with 2000 grit, then uses some buffing compound on it, then wax with mcquires gold class wax or any other type of polish type wax.

$25 - 5 cans of Rust-Oleum black lacquer spray paint

$12 - 3 packs of 2000 grit sand paper

$12 - 1 quart of Mniwax sanding sealer

$5 - Elmers wood filler

Total cost is only $54 to get a 5-7 cuft box in a black hi-gloss mirror finish as shown above.

And //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif centercaps on the CLK..?
Thats actually my roomates, those wheels came with it when he bought it. The car was only 18k, not bad for a fully loaded benz in mint condidtion. He is planning on getting these wheels 19x10 in the back and 19x8.5 in the front....

Here's a pic of the wheels on a 7 series with the same wheels, click to enlarge...

i think ima do my box that way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif how much that paint and primer run you?
Explained above...

Each can is around 3-5 bucks, but you need like 20 cans overall //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
lol ya right, 5 cans will do fine. Do 1 can per coat.

I mean it looks good, but it still needs more sanding. The image is distorted, which is only fixed by wet sanding between coats. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I mean, it really doesn't matter anyway, but if you look on sites like diyaudio.com, they can take weeks to months to perfect a paint finish //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

I mean it looks good, but it still needs more sanding. The image is distorted, which is only fixed by wet sanding between coats. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Actually thats because I only spent about 45 minutes wetsanding, I can make the finish totaly un distorted without any type of imperfection if I was to spend another 45 minutes I could get it so that the entire box looked like a flasless mirror. Wetsanding in between coats is not needed IMO when using Lacquer paint.

I mean, it really doesn't matter anyway, but if you look on sites like diyaudio.com, they can take weeks to months to perfect a paint finish //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
Thats over kill to spend that much time. This is a quick weekend project, like you said it doesn't matter.

Here's a better detailed pic, I agree with you it's not that good of a finish and looks like crap compared to the pros, but like I said that was only with 45 miniutes of wetsanding. If I spend some more time I can make it perferct, the left center of the box is near finish beacause thats where I spent more time wetsanding....

wetsandgoodtq7.jpg

Actually thats because I only spent about 45 minutes wetsanding, I can make the finish totaly un distorted without any type of imperfection if I was to spend another 45 minutes I could get it so that the entire box looked like a flasless mirror. Wetsanding in between coats is not needed IMO when using Lacquer paint.
Thats over kill to spend that much time. This is a quick weekend project, like you said it doesn't matter.

Here's a better detailed pic, I agree with you it's not that good of a finish and looks like crap compared to the pros, but like I said that was only with 45 miniutes of wetsanding. If I spend some more time I can make it perferct, the left center of the box is near finish beacause thats where I spent more time wetsanding....

wetsandgoodtq7.jpg
well that looks awesome to me, and it only cost $54. i bet itd cost much more to spray it in a booth.

What kinda sander are you using? I see your edges aren't quite lined up, just like mine are //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I sand by hand or I use a cheap $6 14,000 rpm powersander. \

Update: I didn't get much done today on the BTL box, just rounded over the edges and thats pretty much it.

looks like a nice box, looks like u have some orange peal on it tho.
Ya I've got some orange peel on it when you look at it at certain angles, but it's not noticable when it's in a vehicle. When it's in a vehicle it just looks like a black mirror. It's still bot bad for just using cheap $4 rattle can paint.

As for the update on the other box for the 18" BTL I've decided to post an entire new log up with all of the photos from start to finish with how it's coming once im all done. It will be better then having pictures spread out over multiple pages on this thread.

true true.. just put a link in this thread to the new one.. so us laggers can get to see it

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.