Box building materials!!!!

wlmrs
10+ year member

Realm Of Excursion
Minnesota
Hey all!I'm going to home depot tomorrow and buying some 3/4" mdf,i need to know what other materials I should get to build this box that will be slot ported for 2-12's.this is my first box and ineed some advice and detail on what to get.Thanks

REsin or Caulk, you will need screws, a jig saw atleast to cut the holes, table saw, some clamps. carpet maybe

Not all of that is NEEDED. You dont NEED a table saw, or clamps... The boxes I have built work perfectly well without clamps, and I got Home Depot to make each cut for me. A circular saw would also work to make the cuts, if you already have one....

i have a jigsaw,circular saw,power drill.what kind and size screws are best for mdf?what about liquid nails?

1 5/8" coarse threaded drywall screws

titebond II wood glue (liquid nails ***** for this application)

silicone sealant

predrill all your screw holes and countersink them as well. Dont put a screw any closer than 1.5" to the edge of a piece of wood and place the screws 4 to 5" apart.

I use #7 drywall screws, they are nice and coarsely threaded, hold nicely.

I personally do not use liquid nails, and dont know many who would on their boxes. Use good old Elmers Wood Glue for the joints, it will do better because it forms a chemical bond, rather than a physical bond. Other than that, just get a tube of SILICONE caulking, it will flex with the wood and create a better seal.

I use #7 drywall screws, they are nice and coarsely threaded, hold nicely.
I personally do not use liquid nails, and dont know many who would on their boxes. Use good old Elmers Wood Glue for the joints, it will do better because it forms a chemical bond, rather than a physical bond. Other than that, just get a tube of SILICONE caulking, it will flex with the wood and create a better seal.

Edit- Damn you Moe...

Edit again- Damn that Quote button, so close to the Edit button //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

thanks moe!as far as that titebond II woodglue,never heard of it.Is that something home depot would carry?

thanks moe!as far as that titebond II woodglue,never heard of it.Is that something home depot would carry?
yeah, it should be on the same row as the screws, near the fiberglass resin. Thats how it is at the 4 home depots here Ive been to. Its got a blue label on it.

Don't use liquid nails. Just make sure you predrill for the screws to keep from splitting the MDF. You have all the tools you will need with the exception of wood glue and possibly one or two frame clamps. You don't need the frame clamps, but it will be easier to build. Also, if you make all of your own cuts, measure twice and cut once. Set up a jig to make sure the corners are dead on. As for the screws, some will tell you wood screws, others will say drywall screws. The hold is different for each, just ask the guy at home depot which would work best to hold pressure.

cool thanks y'all,umm is that all folks?Hey how do you brace a box or is that needed?my total box volume is 5 cu.ft 36x15.25x20 or 22

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.