Box Build (3.7 @ 30Hz)

Participant count
  • Participant list

azphat12
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tulsa, OK
Started my first box build today. Got my current progress...and mistakes, lol. Will post some more pics tomorrow as I keep working...

On the upper left you will see my cut was off...should be able to take care of that with the sander. Not to bad considering I didnt use the table saw, lol.

Question? Is minor wood splitting on the ends normal? I am pre drilling all of the holes, and only the ends split a little. Will this be an issue after the glue/sealant is applied?

subwoofer_ported.jpg

I was using a 3/32 bit. I did find out my issue though. Bassman3 (who designed the box for me) informed me any screw on the corner closer then 2" would promote splitting. That infact is my issue.

I will have more pics tomorrow. I can also pic the materials also....should of done that today but it started to rain again shortly after I got this far.

I placed a few screws about an inch off the corner. So hoping I can just move those abit to prevent any more damage, and just put some extra wood glue around to help. I will be doing another box shortly for some SA 12's....this one is my tester box for some JL's

Ok, had a few hours to work today. Making progress!

Here is a pic of the box with the slot port in it....not glued yet

subwoofer_withport.jpg

Here are a couple of me painting the port.. and with the 45's in. I will sand the excess caulking before the baffle goes in.

paintedport.jpg

45.jpg

port_45.jpg

Hopefully I am doing this right, lol.

I caulked behind the 45's and infront of them aswell just to be sure.

I moved my screws a bit from the edge and low and behold.....no splitting! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have the baffles cut. Just need to line up a few screws for the port and cut the 12" holes and finish sealing.

After that I will hit the sander on the outside to finish it up.

Just wondering what I want to do after that... paint / stone texture / vinyl / or carpet. Not sure

I am leaning towards primering it then painting it grey to match the interior...

BTW... how much should I round off the port corners? I did round them some, just wondering how much I should do before I put the port back in.

I should add "bassman3" designed this box for me. Good 3d pics, and a cut sheet...well worth the small cost!

This is a pretty basic design, but not bad for my first box. The box sounds great...the lows hit alot better then before.

Now its either build the box with interchangeable port, or keep this one for the SA 12's!

No vids yet. Going to finish texturing the box and basic amp rack. Then I will do a vid I suppose. I was going for as much stock approach as possible.

I didnt do any build outs for door panels or make an elaborate amp rack. Just something that works and is easy on the eyes, lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.