Bought an Audioque HDC3 18 alum coil today.

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
Right now it is still wired at two ohms, so its only getting about 900 watts to it.

I was playing it pretty loud, and then I heard a weird *** sound coming from it. While it was playing one of the notes it sounded like there was something else going on with the sub while it was playing, almost like a slapping, like it was trying to play a double bass drum.

I'm not sure what happened to the sub, I didn't see/smell any smoke, I just turned it down for a bit, and didn't have a problem after that. Anybody have any idea what happened? I can't really describe the sound all that well. But yeah. Later on today my car battery was out and I had to jump it, so I thought maybe low voltage? but last time I checked it was floating at 12.6v.... so idk.

Any thoughts/corrections/answers are welcomed.

I doubt that because the sound wasn't happening after that, maybe i'm wrong? I don't know, i'm going to take the sub out the box tomorrow and check it out.

I looked it up and it seems people are using felt & adhesive in order to fix it, I'm assuming thats the problem, could it have been clipping? o_O I feel so nubby.

Also, can this tinsel problem lead to other dangerous probelms to the sub err no?

Pull it out of the box and check for any glue joints coming apart or other mechanical failure. AQ seems to have a lot of issues with that. If you're draining your battery you have other problems as well that should be addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks ^ & yeah I don't know how my battery went out so easy, Last time I checked the voltage was fine, but i'm going to get it figured all out tomorrow hopefully. I'll keep all of you posted, & can anyone tell me if the tinsel being loose will damage anything else? I know maybe the cone, but I mean like electrical wise.

I found that the coil is a little ******* burned, I'm pissed as ****.

2sacga1.jpg

other than that burnt off part does it look okay? & is this what could have caused that sound? I mean it can still get pretty loud, but know that the coil is burnt will always be in the back of my mind, and I don't wanna hear that sound again scared the **** out of me.

How much are alum coil recones? Would it be worth it to get one?

1h5ybl.jpg

Get pics of the spider if you can...also get pics of the spider while pushing up on the cone..if you can do the same with the coil.

On the bright side, at least you did get an aluminum coil..I have seen many used subs passed off as aluminum when in deed they were copper.

As for the coil, it does seem to have gotten fairly hot. I wouldn't be surprised if there is separation in the coil some where cause the noise you hear from time to time.

Get pics of the spider if you can...also get pics of the spider while pushing up on the cone..if you can do the same with the coil.

On the bright side, at least you did get an aluminum coil..I have seen many used subs passed off as aluminum when in deed they were copper.

As for the coil, it does seem to have gotten fairly hot. I wouldn't be surprised if there is separation in the coil some where cause the noise you hear from time to time.
or possible a flat spot at the bottom of the coil.sounds like the woofer had dropped out ,in other words tried to play a low note that the box couldn't produce.had the same problem with my dd woofers ,but still played fine at lower volumes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.